C# on a mac (warning: could scare small children)

I realize this is spookey, but I just had to share:
[Image: pigui.gif]
(that's running 100% locally on my mac)

If there's any interest, I'll write a little HOWTO.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

Bring Alistair Cooke's America to DVD!
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
ack. what made you do that? Huh
Quote:Originally posted by DoooG
ack. what made you do that? Huh
College.

- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

DoG
Not knowing too much about it, what good is C# anyway? What's the difference to c++?
C# is Microsoft's answer to Java. It's a bit more C++-like than Java (has pointers), but still gets compiled to platform independent code. the cli (common language interface) includes a C# compiler, along with other compilers, and a runtime to execute said platform independent code. The CLI is the foundation upon which .Net is built.

That answer your question?

- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

DoG
I guess it does. I thought I saw some c# code once, and found it to be like c++.

I am starting to lose track of all the proprietary technology clones of free standards from MS. I am just tired of what they are doing.

Anyway, for a tidbit: did you know that steve jobs wanted smalltalk for the apple II? What would the world look like if xerox would have licensed it to him. Bill Gates would be flippin burgers.

- D.G
Founder
So are you saying that you can work with C# code on your Mac, and then compile it? I'm a tad confused.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
So are you saying that you can work with C# code on your Mac, and then compile it? I'm a tad confused.
Yep, that's exactly it. I can compile and Run C# and JScript code, and run CLI executables generated on other platforms. It also supports PIGUI.

- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

Founder
Sounds like news then. can you email something to me so I can put it up on our front page?

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
Sounds like news then. can you email something to me so I can put it up on our front page?

Cheers
It's old news. What might be news is that it still works with 10.2, and Apple's X11 server makes it a little easier to do.

Still interested?

- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

gregorypierce
Unregistered

Yeah, the one gotcha to mention is that when you compile CLI code it is compiled for that platform and all of the optimizations are done specifically for that platform. While compiled CLI code will run on other platforms it may be woefully misoptimized - as such you really want to recompile the CLI code on every platform.

Strange to see a college course deal specifically with .Net, C# or CLI. Guess that's how Microsoft intends to seed the market with developers.
Quote:Originally posted by gregorypierce
Strange to see a college course deal specifically with .Net, C# or CLI. Guess that's how Microsoft intends to seed the market with developers.
Not specifically. I just wanted to make sure I had every option available to me (they accept homework in Java, C++, or C#).

But Microsoft is seeding the market. I can get free (educational) licenses to full-blown versions of lots of Microsoft software. Just about everything except Office it seems.

- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

kainsin
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by gregorypierce
I've heard about them doing things like this. I'm just glad that RIT hasn't bought into it yet or else I would have had a rough time.

Although, there is a new Game Programming concentration that has sprung up, but the professor is a big DirectX fan so the courses use that. I'm going to try to see if I can get in using OpenGL.
Quote:Originally posted by kainsin
I've heard about them doing things like this. I'm just glad that RIT hasn't bought into it yet or else I would have had a rough time.

Although, there is a new Game Programming concentration that has sprung up, but the professor is a big DirectX fan so the courses use that. I'm going to try to see if I can get in using OpenGL.

holy moley - they now offer a Game Prog Course?! If they had that when I went there maybe I would of stayed in college! Instead I learned Fortran.

-Codemattic (RIT flunky)
There is an even scarier way. http://www.go-mono.com offers an app called mono that's command line only. It can handle C# among other languages like ASP .Net etc..

The scary part is that it installed perfectly on my Mac running Mac OS X.2.3. It required some additional libraries though, but I managed to install those with fink.

However, I haven't managed to compile ASP .Net yet, so if anyone does manage to do that, please let me know.

PS: I need to compile ASP .net for school, otherwwise I'd stick with PHP

"When you dream, there are no rules..."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Apple Match-O Linker Warning abuabhi 1 2,329 Sep 30, 2013 03:12 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Weird Compiler WARNING... help? Elphaba 1 2,252 Aug 10, 2009 10:51 PM
Last Post: Elphaba
  small question ..... help please ! imaumac 3 2,523 Sep 6, 2008 08:19 AM
Last Post: imaumac