Scene-Level OpenGL Engine Needed

robsteely
Unregistered

I'm looking for an open-source, scene-level OpenGL engine for use in an Objective-C/Cocoa shareware project. I would like to find something written in C or Objective-C as I have absolutely no experience with C++ and would prefer to avoid the complexities of integrating C++ code into an Objective-C program. I would not be able to use any engines that prevent me from charging money for the completed game or that would require me to provide the project's source files. I would also like to avoid Quesa, since Quesa's low frame rates are the very reason that I'm porting this project from REALbasic to Objective-C.

Does anyone have specific recommendations?

Thanks,

Bob Steely
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
mememe. I guess it wouldn't suit you, though since I am working in C++, and only the MacOS X gui is objC. I was going to do this in objC in the beginning, but it was a pain to get it reasonably fast.

I don't think there would be anything in C that would be good with objC.

And having a mixed language project, I can tell you that when mixing C++ and ObjC, the most difficult task is pretty much renaming your file endings to .mm.

- D.G
robsteely
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by DoooG
mememe. I guess it wouldn't suit you, though since I am working in C++, and only the MacOS X gui is objC. I was going to do this in objC in the beginning, but it was a pain to get it reasonably fast.

I don't think there would be anything in C that would be good with objC.

And having a mixed language project, I can tell you that when mixing C++ and ObjC, the most difficult task is pretty much renaming your file endings to .mm.

- D.G

Due to ObjC's strong dynamic binding and messaging systems, speed could be a concern. There may well not be anything suitable written in ObjC. With that in mind, I may very well have to use something written in C++, but that will be a totally new language for me.

What graphics engine did you have in mind and where can I find it?

Bob
DoG
Quote:Originally posted by robsteely
What graphics engine did you have in mind and where can I find it?

Bob

The link in my signature, but that is far from complete, not yet enough features for a game. Depending on how much time I will have the next month or so, it might get there, though, but I can't promise anything. I suggest you take a look at crystal space or similars, I am not particularly well informed on the current state of all the 3d engines out there.

- D.G
Feanor
Unregistered

I guess you could look at Ogre. It's graphics only, and C++. There are no working open source ObjC engines, to my knowledge. I wish that there were.
Quote:Originally posted by robsteely
I'm looking for an open-source, scene-level OpenGL engine for use in an Objective-C/Cocoa shareware project. I would like to find something written in C or Objective-C as I have absolutely no experience with C++ and would prefer to avoid the complexities of integrating C++ code into an Objective-C program. I would not be able to use any engines that prevent me from charging money for the completed game or that would require me to provide the project's source files. I would also like to avoid Quesa, since Quesa's low frame rates are the very reason that I'm porting this project from REALbasic to Objective-C.

Does anyone have specific recommendations?

Thanks,

Bob Steely

I have to ask what your doing with quesa.
It used to be very slow but has been getting much better the last 6 months under OS-X.
So what are you making and what version of RB are you using etc?

What do you consider slow?

- Mac Lead ZeniMax Online Studios
- Owner Plaid World Studios
- Resume: http://www.chrisdillman.com
I've had no problem getting OpenGL context rendering happily from ObjC. I don't have a scene engine, but it certainly is possible and considering ObjC message dispatch is only about 30% slower than C++ function calls.

Oh yeah, and btw DoooG, I downloaded your frameworks and the physics example and it doesn't compile correctly. You have your frameworks set up wrong so that when the final app is built it tries to link to /Users/dog/Library/Frameworks/... check with the tutorial on CocoaDevCentral.com on framework settings or ask OneSadCookie. I'd like to see how those run.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Multithreaded OpenGL Engine Technote OneSadCookie 8 4,838 Nov 13, 2006 01:27 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Surface/Vertice Normals and Scene Placement Jones 3 3,068 Aug 22, 2006 02:45 PM
Last Post: scgames
  OpenGL Isometric Tile Engine Stalin55 17 15,535 Aug 16, 2006 02:29 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Use Spencil in 2D scene and OpenGl ? RB jp 1 2,228 Apr 12, 2006 02:33 PM
Last Post: RB jp
  Renderer/Scene Graph Nick 2 2,732 Mar 31, 2006 08:54 AM
Last Post: Nick