Sim Something

Quote:Originally posted by macboy
Uck. Who would program in assembly for a huge game like that? Blink

Wow that is realy weird... I don't know much about assem but I think that would be absolute HELL to code.
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

So the game would be fast. (Assembly is fast)

Also, 3ds max won't ever come to the Mac because it started out as the assembly app, 3D Studio DOS. :envy: Mad

I dunno much about assembly either but from my GBA gamedev test, it's fast.
Luminary
Assembly isn't fast. Well-written assembly may be faster than compiled code in certain circumstances (usually when the compiler doesn't know how to generate a particular instruction).
I'd say that assembly is faster if you are great at writing it, and know alot about the processor you are writing it for.
But then again, I'm no mega pro at assembly programming so this is just what I've heard.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Luminary
Almost always, if your C code contains all the information you have (for example you may have to use restrict), GCC will generate optimal code.

It's not completey fool-proof, but in my experience the reason for compiled code being slower than hand-assembled code is that the hand-assembled code makes more assumptions than the compiler can.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I heard that RCT was written in assembly a few months ago. I was Googling for "Rollercoaster Tycoon for Mac" and I found an old article (on MacCentral or another Mac site that reviews games) that was released some time after RCT was. It was an interview with the RCT developers. The interviewer asked when the game would come to the Mac and they said it never would because it was written in assembly. Sad but true... Sad

Since RCT's in Intel assembly, it's going to the Xbox. (recently heard about that)
griffin239
Unregistered

Overlooked Sim ideas:
SimCreator: In the beginning....
Create the universe one solar system at a time, until you are worshipped by my masses of hairless apes across the cosmos.

Would require careful balances of creativity. Oops I made that Gas Giant a little too giant and sucked my Gaia-like planet right into it!
"Doh! My Lovely comet crashed into my evolving civilization!"
"Yeah, the little monkeys are colonizing worlds!"

SimMMORPG.
Its not multiplayer, and its not online, but you can sure pretend that is Smile

SimPsycheWard.
Manage a physciatric ward. Rewards for good play would be better and larger facilities, more experienced and skilled staff, famous nuts, salted and unsalted.

SimSuperPowers
A world of regular sim people meets the fantastic world of super heroes and villians!!
Try to Maintain a world that goes SMASH BOOM CRASH in super slugfests.
Or try to build up superhero or supervillian team, ala, Freedom Force. (oh joy!)

SimCivilDefense
Build, stock, and maintain the lives of your citizens then as many of them as you can
into the bomb shelter before the big one hits.

SimAftermath
The Sims or Sim City, after the bomb.

SimCannibal Isle
Can you keep your race of cannibals happy and well fed, without becoming extinct?

SimHomeless
Maintain a population of homeless people while the world around them gets richer
and less tolerant of their existance.

SimGameDeveloper
As was said before, the game developer version of SimCinema. Only you release your games
either freeware, shareware, commercial, or open source and see how it raises your standing in the community and industry. For instance releasing an astounding shareware title might land you a mutli-million dollar contract for your next commercial title.

SimAngel of Death
Hey its not easy processing all these souls. Some of them don't want to leave and become poltergeist, eventually causing more work for you. Maybe Just Sim angles, so you could
manage the angels who are trying to manage the affairs of men from the inbetween dimensions.

Ok..my baby wants to learn the VIAO, I better get her back to the G3 before she is permentantly damaged by Windows.
SimBaby would be fun too, take it from Dad who knows.
Nibbie
How about a sim where you program traffic lights where the goal is to optimize utilization?
I've noticed quite a bit of these revivals lately, I wonder what causes it.
Dr. Light Wrote:Hmmm. How about a Mac Shareware Developer sim?

To quote a 7 year old post... If you're still interested in playing this one, Matt Reagan (mercy___) wrote one of these. It's hilarious. He hasn't publicly released it, but maybe if you contact him he'll let you play it.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
7 Years... feels like coming out of cold storage.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
6 months isn't bad either Rasp

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
I hear that there are browsers out there that can load a page pretty fast...
Just another angle on Sim Ant (and trying to see if you/I can get sued by two people at once): (and I'd like to apologise in advance for the large image, but the humor should make it worth your while).

[Image: 33nub9x.jpg]

I made that sketch during a Maths class about two years ago. It's been living in my notebook ever since. I'd like to thank my scanner for deciding to work today, etc. (print/scan peripherals are my bane).

Ironically enough, I made that sketch before the StarCraft II announcement. I can be very clairvoyant at times.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError