OpenGL books

Founder
Some of you might have noticed that I put up two lists of recommended books in the other 2 technical boards. I'd like to place a list for OpenGL books. So, please post any book you recommend for learning OpenGL, or books that assist in 3d programming that would be relevant.

Cheers

p.s. NeHe's Macinized tutorials will soon be coming to iDevGames :-)

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
DoG
I don't think there is an more you need than the nehe tutorials and the redbook. :-)

Really, those tutorials are enough stuff for a whole lot (precise enough?). What I would like to see is a little more object orientation in graphics programming. Maybe I'll take a shot at it some time myself. Though, it is admittedly a tough topic.

- D.G
Luminary
I agree, any OpenGL book beyond the Red Book is a waste of time.

There may be some more general 3D theory books that are worth having...
I can really recommend "Mathematics for 3D Game Programming & Computer Graphics" by Eric Lengyel. A lot of useful information there and some of it is OpenGL specific but most is useful algorithms and theory.

The Red book is definitely at the top of the list. Only problem is that it's so out of date. Or is there a newer one than for OpenGL 1.2? Would be nice to have some good documentation on the latest features.

KenD
Luminary
(almost) all the features added to 1.3 and 1.4 were extensions first, so the extension documentation is usually the best source of information.

Unfortunately, it's reference documentation (in the style of the blue book, or the man pages), so it can be quite difficult to understand.
What would you recommend as far as strict C++ for easy porting. Is there an OpenGL book that targets C++ on the mac? Also, I have a slight feeling that Carbon and C++ are some how (unknown to me) related... It's kinda off topic, but could you clarify that for me?
Out of curiosity, were you aware that this thread is two years old?

OpenGL and Carbon are both C APIs. They have nothing to do with C++. I think certain parts of Carbon may be implemented as C++, but all of the public APIs are C.

- Alex Diener
Carlos Camacho Wrote:p.s. NeHe's Macinized tutorials will soon be coming to iDevGames :-)

If this thread is 2 years old then what happened to the promised tutorials?
Hey man, don't knock me for using the search function. But thank you for the replies. Do you think it is possible, or rather, how would one go about programming in C++ for the mac, (OS X) incorporating OpenGL? I mostly want C++ for its OO capabilities, and its X-Plat functionality.
Andrew Sage Wrote:If this thread is 2 years old then what happened to the promised tutorials?
They came and went.
What happened to them? Was it a case of NeHe pulling them or did they just suffer in one of the downtimes?
Volte Wrote:Do you think it is possible, or rather, how would one go about programming in C++ for the mac, (OS X) incorporating OpenGL? I mostly want C++ for its OO capabilities, and its X-Plat functionality.

Of course it's possible. There really isn't anything to it. Write your code in a .cpp file and call OpenGL functions normally.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question.

- Alex Diener
Oh ok great. No you got the question (plus your answer makes more sense than it would have about 4 hours ago due to small increments of knowledge I have been gaining). I thought I needed to require some sort of extra framework or such to support C++, but I see that since C is automatically supported, its not to surprising that C++ is as well. I am grateful for this as I will need its OO capabilities, Thanks for the replies.
Andrew Sage Wrote:What happened to them? Was it a case of NeHe pulling them or did they just suffer in one of the downtimes?
From what I recall (and Carlos can correct me if I'm wrong), the guy who was doing the Carbon ports slowly lost interest through the periods where iDG crashed and burned. At any rate, most of the NeHe tutorials already have Mac or SDL ports.
Apprentice
What about all those books that are geared towards OpenGL for Windows? Would that code work, such as: Beginning OpenGL Game Programming - I know it's geared towards Windows, but would that OpenGL code still work for the mac... or would it require a little/lot of tweaking?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Books for OGL Muffinking 4 3,069 Apr 16, 2003 02:47 PM
Last Post: Mars_999