Nice 3D Engine

Founder
Happen to come across "Cube" today at:

http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/index.php4

Quote:Landscape-style engine that pretends to be an indoor first person shooter engine. Combines very high precision dynamic occlusion culling with a form of geometric mipmapping on the whole world for dynamic LOD for configurable fps & graphic detail on most machines. Uses OpenGL & SDL. Allows in-engine editing of geometry in full 3D (you fly around the map, point / drag stuff to select it / modify it), which can even be done with multiple people at once (a first!). Has simplistic but effective fine grain vertex lighting that looks like lightmapping and can do dynamic lights & shadows. Doesn't need any kind of map precompilation, even lighting is done on the fly. Has very simplistic quad-tree world structure that can do slopes (heightfields with caps) and slants, water, does decent collision detection & physics, has client/server networking that goes a long way in giving a lag-free game experience, and features a Doom/Quake-style singleplayer and multiplayer game with some uncompromising brutal oldskool gameplay.

Anyone play with it?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

Hehe, you weren't paying attention I guess. Jeremy started a port of it, like, two months ago? OSC was helping him out with it. Don't know their progress lately...
Founder
Ah, I can't keep track of everything. Give me an update so we can put the news on our front page.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Luminary
We have it ported and running on Mac OS X. There are a couple of unresolved issues with some of the maps on particular systems, and with some of the midi files on all systems. These may have been resolved in a more recent release of Mac OS X 10.2; I haven't tested recently.

I have successfully played a Mac <-> Mac network game with the port, but we don't have network compatibility with the pre-built Win32 and Linux-i586 clients.

Nothing has been done recently. I can pass on my code modifications and build instructions to anyone who's interested.
Founder
Maybe they should host the Mac files so people don't repeat work that has been done. Or you can always submit it to us.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
jamie
Unregistered

Is it in any kind of state to play around with or check out how the level building works? If so I'd luv to take a look at it.
Luminary
I'll package something up in the next couple of days so that people can take a look.
Founder
>I'll package something up in the next couple of days so that people can take a look.
Anything to show? (links?)

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Yeah, I've played around with it abit, it's fun becouse of it's design(which also makes it a little bit on the slow side), with the whole thing built on cubes etc.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Sage
Whoa, zombie thread.
Hrm, I think I ported this in like March (of 2003?), so not much after this I had this fixed up and released.

The tale of Cube on OSX is fairly interesting (my memory is a of course sketchy but here's what I can gather):
- Jeremy and Keith work on the OSX port, they spend most of their time fixing OSX specific SDL issues.
- Soon after I express my interest in porting the title to the author, he slams the mac and virtually says, "Whatever you do I don't care about, I just won't let you make it network compatable with the builds I've done. MAYBE I'll do a Mac version down the line." Others listening in on the chat slam the mac as well and the author makes me believe he'd do an "unpolished and hacked up port".
- I find Jeremy's work and begin work on the code (at this time I don't know Jeremy or Keith), I don't run into the same issues (possibly because SDL had been improved) and quickly get it working, packaged up, and ready for public consumption. All during this time I had tried to conact Jeremy with no luck.
- I release Cube to a happy OSX crowd.
- I get in contact with Jeremy later and he sounds pleased I finished the port.
- I do a few minor updates and step off Cube to write original games.
- Months later I hear about some kid (I'm guessing he was 15) that is working on his own "improved" port of Cube, he creates a very unstable version that thankfully most people don't hear about. Later on I give him permission to use my (Jeremy's updated) source under the sole circumstance I have to approve anything before he releases it or gives it away to the public (It is a very big deal that something someone puts my name on I approve of). I find out later he had released yet more crappy versions without my consent.
- Finally the author steps up and does his own version, I don't know much about it other then places like MGF allowed him to replace my version of Cube there (so he gets all the positive feedback, keeps the download count, and erases my version) which to this day angers me (there have been other instances, not just from MGF, where random people have gone ahead and posted updates and completely screwed things up, IE wrong dl link, wrong version number, author, etc).
- That other kid announces he is stopping "work" on Cube
- Today I could care less about where Cube is at, the titles I'm developing should blow Cube out of the water.
Apprentice
I remember very well when you did the port of Cube. You posted in the IMG forums about a multiplayer test, and we had quite a bit of fun with it. In the end, the thing ended up being a major bandwidth hog, and we stopped playing. While we were playing though, we had quite a bit of turnout. I think I had a server running, and Derek had one so that something like 8 people could play, 4 on each server (any more made it crap out). Ah, the good old days. Some time after I remember reading a story on IMG and other places about that other guy that did the cube port a LONG time after you did, and I think I did mention to them that you originally released the Mac port, but no one listened to me :/

I noticed the MGF part too, seeing that they replaced yours angered me a bit also. Only makes me hope something like that doesn't happen to me. Blink