Good RPGs

Matt Brown
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by AJ Infinity
I like time consuming RPG's like the SNES one EarthBound. (In case you're wondering where the Ness character in Super Smash Bros. came from, he came from EarthBound and Harvest Moon, 2 SNES games.)

Where the royal heck did you hear the Ness was in Harvest Moon? The main charecter does look kinda like him, but Harvest Moon is copyrighted Natsume, not Nintendo, (which owns EarthBound, or Ness wouldn't be in SSB) But to the best of my knowledge (and I'm an HM junkie) The main charecters name is either Jack or Pete. Ness is most certainly NOT in Harvest Moon.

Back OT: I think a player sould be able to channel growth, but paying too much attention to stats is distracting and takes away from the storylines. FF7 and FF8 are good examples of this. The junction system in FF8 almost entirely replaced the level up system. And I kinda liked it, even though I didn't finish FF8, or even start junctioning until halfway through disc 2. And the Materia in FF7 was pure genious. But when it got to the sphere grid in FF10, (which I only played for about an hour at my cousin's) I thought that was a bit far. Options are what make gameplay.
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

When I first played SSB at a friend's party, I asked who Ness was and everyone else playing the game said "He's a character from Harvest Moon" or "he's a character from EarthBound" Nintendo shouldn't use the same character in every game. It confuses people.
Matt Brown
Unregistered

Uh huh. But who ever said Ness was in HM was very wrong. Ever played any of the HM games? The PSX one is very good. The SNES one is good too. I assure you Ness is not in Harvest Moon.
Sorry if I'm being blunt, but EarthBound is quite possibly my favorite SNES RPG. And the Harvest Moon games all take up alot of my brain space, so mess ups like this are annoying to me.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Nintendo has character design problems. In Harvest Moon, the main character looks like the character from EB, yet they are (according to you) totally different. And, they both have the same kind of dog. Then in SSB, Nintendo (and hal laboratories) makes a character named Ness who looks like the character from EB and HM.Shock Weird
Sawtooth
Unregistered

I think FF3/6 was the best game that displayed the optional/optimal player settings. I could just chose "best", and your character was decked out in the best equipment. You could still muck around with the artifacts, and you could make your character better suited for some situations if you wanted to. For instance, I wanted to keep the hp-increasing hats even after their armor rating had become outclassed, just because it gave more benefits. You could also choose different swords because they gave you extra water/fire/ice damage, rather than accepting the one with the highest attack power that the 'best' option gives you.
Matt Brown
Unregistered

Nintendo has character design problems. In Harvest Moon, the main character looks like the character from EB, yet they are (according to you) totally different. And, they both have the same kind of dog. Then in SSB, Nintendo (and hal laboratories) makes a character named Ness who looks like the character from EB and HM.Shock Weird

HM isn't a nintendo game. There are over 10 Harvest Moon games, and while most of them are for Nintendo consoles, there are 3 for PSX and PS2. Now we all know that Nintendo would never let another company release their games for a non-nintendo console. It's only happend once to my knowledge, and that was a illegal Mario port to the Sega Genesis. Do a little home work on it. But this is getting very OT and I'm tired of arguing. Please just check it out.
GameFAQs is a good site, and any search engine will yield good results.
The dogs look different in almost all HM games. And Ness and the HM guy don't look that much alike. They both have a baseball cap in. The similarities really do end there. Just look it up. Please.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Anyway, Ness isn't the same character in HM as in SSB, I admit I'm wrong (heck, am I perfect?).

Back to good RPG's, my favorites,

Zelda games
FFVII - FFX
MegaMan Battle Network 2 (playing it now; like DaFalcon said, it's a good game)
EarthBound
Some of my favorite RPGs in chronological order that I played them
Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star 4
Shining Force
FF8
Chrono Trigger (you'll notice that the order I play them isn't always the order they come out)
Mario RPG
Matt Brown
Unregistered

AJ, no one's perfect. Not even me.

Ok, my fave RPGs,

Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star 2 and 4
Final Fantasy 5, 6, 7, and 8. (Haven't played 9)
Harvest Moon SNES, GB3, and Back to Nature
ChronoTrigger
Legend of Dragoon(it's just as good as FF7)
Metal Gear Solid. (It's almost an RPG)
w_reade
Unregistered

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, so:

Fallout.

Also, the usual suspects:

Secret of Mana;
Chrono Trigger;
Breath of Fire;
Final Fantasies;
Zeldas...
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Phantasy Star. (awesome game!)
The Legend of The Dragoon (I remember this!)
eekaydee
Unregistered

About the original question, how about increasing attributes after every fight, depending on which skills/abilities you use.

And yikes, I didn't realize how old this thread is!
Quote:Originally posted by Jake
I like lots of control, mabey thats because i LOVE math and used to play alot of paper/pencil RPGs

I agree. Paper/Pencil rpgs are fun.Grin
Check out Knights of the Old Republic. The best RPG released in a long time. Imagine the D20 system, combined with Deus Ex's skills system. It also has a newbie-friendly auto-character-generator and auto-level-up if you don't want to control every facet of your character yourself.
Then in SSB, Nintendo (and hal laboratories) makes a character named Ness who looks like the character from EB and HM.Shock Weird

The reason in super smash bros was that they wanted characters from a whole bunch of video games. It was on purpose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why good ideas beat good graphics BeyondCloister 38 15,509 Jun 6, 2005 09:38 AM
Last Post: Dan Potter