A Simple Scripted Game

AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ededed
drag n drop NONONO!
I think it should be python because that looks easy.

It would not exactly be like SQ because if it was then you would have a drag n drop scripting language which should be avoided at all costs. But it would be as extendable as SQ except not grid based.
There should be a console that lets you enter or test commands and scripts in the game.

I made a nice java thing a long time ago, it reminds me of this. You could drop as many bombs as you wanted anywhere then set any off. They would take a short amount of time and you could get nice chain reactions. I image this type of thing an the kind of things seen in SQ as well. Another nice thing would be to have a flammable image so someone could drop petrol and then set off an explosion and the some sort of fill algorithm would fill the petrol area with fire then cause things nearby to burn.

Nonprogrammers would like a drag n drop UI. Programmers (like me) would want hard core ActionScript style scripting.
Quote this message in a reply
ededed
Unregistered

No I dont think anyone would.
After looking at Lua I think that would definatly be the best thing to use, it is very simple and very extendable.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Then why was RCX Code and Mindstorms so successful? Huh? http://www.lego.com/mindstorms

I know people who are scared of programming but then when they use a visual editor (like the PC only GDE RolePlayingMaster) they get along very well.

You've never seen RCX Code, have you?

RCX Code is just a visual interface to Mindscript. NQC (Not Quite C) is a C-style language for programming Mindstorms robots. Yet, most people know about RCX Code and not about NQC.

Maybe a visual interface to coding Lua sounds good. Maybe one like VisualBasic?
furballphat
Unregistered

I have Lego Mindstorms. Practically the first thing I did after installing the software and making a few robots was to search for a way to actually code the robots rather than drag funny shaped blocks which make a clicking noise and right clicking them to bring up an animation to change parameters.

Also, RCX code is supremely basic. You can't even define variables with it. I think if NQC came with Mindstorms, a lot of people would choose to learn something a little more difficult to be able to more with their code.
DoG
I think you would enter history as the brightest mind of the computer age, would you find a way to replace C code with unambigous graphics. But then again, there are people who do argue against graphical user interfaces. The problem is, anyhow, that the more features you have, the more control you need, and it is quite difficult to implement that graphically without creating a big, gooey mess.

- D.G
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by furballphat
I have Lego Mindstorms. Practically the first thing I did after installing the software and making a few robots was to search for a way to actually code the robots rather than drag funny shaped blocks which make a clicking noise and right clicking them to bring up an animation to change parameters.

Also, RCX code is supremely basic. You can't even define variables with it. I think if NQC came with Mindstorms, a lot of people would choose to learn something a little more difficult to be able to more with their code.

Furballphat, you'd like NQC. It's awesome. It allows you to use the "Windows only" mindstorms with a USB IR tower and OS X!

http://www.baumfamily.org/lego/macmind/

Quote:A visual interface to Lua would be good, no?

I think you would enter history as the brightest mind of the computer age, would you find a way to replace C code with unambigous graphics. But then again, there are people who do argue against graphical user interfaces. The problem is, anyhow, that the more features you have, the more control you need, and it is quite difficult to implement that graphically without creating a big, gooey mess.

You are right. I've seen gooey mess before. But, hey, if someone got Kai Krause to do it, it would probably be good (BryceScript for Robots? Grin). A visualbasic style bot programming dev environment would be good, also. Or maybe, someone could make a Mac port of the RCX Command Center! (An IDE-style interface to the commandline NQC)
furballphat
Unregistered

Yes, I have used NQC.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

You must use RCX Code 1.0 or 1.5 because 2.0 has extensive variable support.
ededed
Unregistered

I am happy because I created a cool OpenGL app with Lua script. I will upload it when I can, It is a OpenGL view and it lets you put lines anywhere. But its good because it build a gllist from the lua script and I have got a parametric mobius strip and a tree generator (made of lines). I like lua because you can return several variables and that is very useful in game scripting.

I think a good game to script would be a game in the vague style of GTA1/2 but that allows you to burn stuff and put slidey oil things everywhere.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Cool. When I get RF's deformable terrain system to work, I'll be happy also. Grin
ededed
Unregistered

You can see a simple Lua/OpenGL example here, that might inspire people to use lua instead of some horrible drag and drop language:
http://www.geocities.com/ed72678954/index.html
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Horrible? Huh Rolleyes
w_reade
Unregistered

Mad

How is it horrible? Criticise constructively, if you please.
w_reade
Unregistered

I can't build it; it complains as follows:

...blah blah...

Completed phase <DeriveAndCompileSources> for <DeriveAndCompileSources>OpenGLStuff.app
StandaloneExecutable /Users/wibble/Desktop/Download Destination/OpenGLStuff/build/OpenGLStuff.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenGLStuff

StandaloneExecutable.LinkUsingFileList /Users/wibble/Desktop/Download Destination/OpenGLStuff/build/OpenGLStuff.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenGLStuff

/usr/bin/gcc3 -o "/Users/wibble/Desktop/Download Destination/OpenGLStuff/build/OpenGLStuff.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenGLStuff" "-L/Users/wibble/Desktop/Download Destination/OpenGLStuff/build" "-F/Users/wibble/Desktop/Download Destination/OpenGLStuff/build" -filelist "/Users/wibble/Desktop/Download Destination/OpenGLStuff/build/OpenGLStuff.build/OpenGLStuff.build/Objects-normal/LinkFileList" "-arch" "ppc" "-prebind" "-framework" "Cocoa" "-framework" "OpenGL" "-llua" "-llualib"

ld: can't locate file for: -llua
...failed StandaloneExecutable.LinkUsingFileList /Users/wibble/Desktop/Download Destination/OpenGLStuff/build/OpenGLStuff.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenGLStuff ...

It also warned about some directory in /Users/ed/ not existing, but I removed it from the search paths, and that got rid of that warning. Any ideas? Did llua (whatever that may be) live somewhere in /Users/ed/?
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by w_reade
Mad

How is it horrible? Criticise constructively, if you please.

Yeah, ed^3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Simple Network Game jpiabrantes 0 761 May 2, 2014 04:06 AM
Last Post: jpiabrantes
  Simple Arcade game ideas problem steve7946 5 5,999 Feb 19, 2005 12:05 PM
Last Post: steve7946
  Arcade/simple game ideas request aarku 57 19,304 Aug 15, 2003 10:54 AM
Last Post: igame3d