A Simple Scripted Game

Luminary
w_reade: try removing liblua.a from the project and adding the one that was in the archive (I think there was one in the archive...).

Incidentally, you can change what the program draws by using "show package contents" in the finder, removing Contents/Resources/main.lua, copying in one of the other example scripts and renaming it to main.lua. No recompile required Wink
Quote this message in a reply
w_reade
Unregistered

ok, explanations in order.

AJ: actually, I was having a go at you, but only because I didn't see the question mark. I thought you were saying ededed's stuff was horrible. Sorry for having a go Blush.

ededed: I'm as suspicious of drag'n'drop scripting as you are, for basically DoooG's reasons. Sorry if you thought I was having a go Blush.

I'm going to bed now.

oh, hang on... OSC, isn't not having to recompile the whole point and joy of scripting languages?
Luminary
Quote:OSC, isn't not having to recompile the whole point and joy of scripting languages?

Yep. I was just pointing it out for people less attentive than you Wink
ededed
Unregistered

I think you might have to install Lua to get that example to work. I should have given a ready built example with it bit I didnt think that far ahead. But anyway I think this game should be coded with Lua because that way there could be a console that would let you cheat, skillfuly:

Spawn("Dark Rider", 3, "Red team")
or ExplodeTerrain(getXY("base", "Blue Team"), 5000)
w_reade
Unregistered

I thought so too, but it didn't work. Nor did OSC's suggestion, until I did as he suggested with the freshly-make'd liblua.a from lua-4.0.1/lib/

The version in the archive, and the version in SmileyTag, both complained about... hell, I've forgotten. Something-or-other being out of date.

Anyway, that's a lovely mobius strip.
Luminary
Static libraries (.a files) on Mac OS X are for some unknown reason dependent on their modification date. That means that if you move them or whatever, their modification date becomes newer and the library becomes invalid. This can be fixed by doing as the error suggests, and running ranlib on the .a file from the terminal.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Like I said nonprogrammers like drag n drop systems. My friend equates programming with math and since he doesn't like math he won't touch C++, Java, or Lua, even. But then, he uses Mindscript in RCX Code and doesn't notice that he's programmingHuh. Do gamers (don't answer this one, OSC) mess with the Python scripts in Kiki the Nanonbot? Do nonprogrammers mess with scripts in other games?
I think AJ is right, lots of people would prefer a graphical interface where they could drag things around to script their game entities. But some other people would want more control than a drag-and-drop interface could provide, and also wouldn't mind investing a little time learning a scripting language. I say offer both ways, a GUI for people who want to quickly "program" simple behaving sprites, and the ability to write scripts for more complex behaviors. Cool

Chris Burkhardt
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Exactly. Lego MIT spent who knows how long designing RCX Code as a GUI for Mindscript. No Mindstorms user really knows about Mindscript programming but they know RCX Code.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Notice: Most commercial games (Warcraft 3, Tomb Raider 5, Starcraft) commercial games use visual editors and not scripting languages. Gamers who don't program prefer visual editors. The War3 World Editor is one of the best visual editors I've ever seen.
meh, the myth 2 editors (fear and loathing) combined with a bunch of third party tools spurred the creation of a crapload of cool maps, conversions and such. "green berets" was a conversion that was actually released. These maps and conversions have been sold in "Myth: The Total Codex" and "Myth 2 Worlds". This is also how a lot of people got into game dev, myself included.

....take your warcraft 3 editor and go home! lol Grin
Um, TONS of Myth 2 mods were released. Green Berets was just the first *commercially published* mod (more like the first 3rd-party game using the Myth 2 engine).

To drag this back on topic, the Myth 2 editors were about 75% drag-and-drop (this was sufficient to build multiplayer maps), but scripting was required for anything more advanced than "this bit of scenery goes here".
i know, i made myth mods, green berets was just a really good myth mod so it got released...it wasn't really that good thoCool
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Limited scripting is in many editors and it's helpful many times. If Interface Builder had scripting, I'd be happy. Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Shivers
i know, i made myth mods, green berets was just a really good myth mod so it got released...it wasn't really that good thoCool

I think we're using different definitions of "release"... Tons of Myth mods were posted to the web for free download, Berets was the first one to show up in a shrinkwrapped box on retail shelves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Simple Network Game jpiabrantes 0 1,154 May 2, 2014 04:06 AM
Last Post: jpiabrantes
  Simple Arcade game ideas problem steve7946 5 6,352 Feb 19, 2005 12:05 PM
Last Post: steve7946
  Arcade/simple game ideas request aarku 57 20,429 Aug 15, 2003 10:54 AM
Last Post: igame3d