Cocoa: Mouse x and y

Phate
Unregistered

Sorry, this is probably a really newbie question, but I'm now moving into Cocoa (after almost 2 years in Real Basic) and I've got a simple sidescroller in the works, I have the key input working fine, but I can't find how I get the mouse X and Y (in RB i just had to check system.mouseX/system.mouseY), i would prefer if it was window-relative (so you could choose to play the game in a windowed mode), but screen relative would be fine too (then you'll be forced to play it full screen).

Thanks for any help,
Phate
Quote this message in a reply
furballphat
Unregistered

Look around in NSEvent for getMouseLoctionInWindow. The number of times this (and questions about setting the mouse location) have been asked definitely warrant an FAQ entry.
ededed
Unregistered

i usually do somthing (from an NSView) like :

[NSEvent mouseLocation].x-[[self window] frame].origin.x-[self frame].origin.x
and
[[self window] frame].size.height-([NSEvent mouseLocation].y-[[self window] frame].origin.y-[self frame].origin.y)
blb
Unregistered

ededed, you might want to have a look at NSView's convertPoint:fromView: and convertPoint:toView:, as well as NSWindow's convertBaseToScreen: and convertScreenToBase:. Might help avoid all those subtractions...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  changing mouse icon in cocoa Leroy 13 6,601 Sep 4, 2007 07:10 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Mouse coordinates with Cocoa vnvrymdreglage 13 6,596 Apr 8, 2007 07:26 AM
Last Post: vnvrymdreglage
  Cocoa: Mouse location while dragging window Fenris 4 4,970 Jul 14, 2005 04:46 PM
Last Post: Fenris
  Cocoa - Reset Mouse Position to center of View CactusJack 6 6,201 Dec 11, 2002 08:51 PM
Last Post: CactusJack