GLTetris

Okay, so here's a very early version of my first OpenGL game, a clone of Tetris which I made to help me learn. Its only 500k or so, so why not try it out?

El Linko:
http://solidmag.vze.com/GLTetris.app.sit

I'm wondering where I should go from here. Should I keep going with this or just scratch it and start something else?

Any and all input appreciated!

-Holmes
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Very cool Smile

At the point you're at, I'd finish and polish it. You're so nearly there.

Posting the keys (and making them configurable) would be good Rasp

I got a bit seasick with the movement of the game board. Maybe slow it down a lot and make it more subtle for better game-play rather than flashiness?
I get an error when I try to download it. Sad
Whoops, I forgot to post the controls.

Controls:
A-Left
D-Right
S-Down (disabled because it doesn' work right right now.
Q-Rotate Left
E-Rotate Right
Spacebar-Begin game

Oh yah, and I was wondering if anyone would know any possible reasons behind the visual artifacts on the intro screen. I donno enough about OpenGL to troubleshoot in that area.
Luminary
Which visual artifacts would those be?
Gosh, I can't even describe them. They aren't big or anything. Its just that if you look at the big rotating block on the title screen, the texture isn't quite right, its kinda wavy. And the right side of the cubes that make up the GLTetris text seem to twinkle in and out. Just little things. Maybe they don't even exit on your system Huh
Luminary
It looks like you need to enable depth testing if you haven't already, and adjust your near and far distances in your perspective call if you have. The ratio of far/near needs to be as small as you can sensibly make it. Near should never be zero.

The edges of the cubes will "twinkle" unless you turn on full-screen anti-aliasing. This is because polygon edges in OpenGL always fall on a pixel, so when an edge moves by a whole pixel it seems to jump, and the distances between things can seem to change. FSAA fixes this by rasterizing polygons with sub-pixel precision.
Awesome, thanks!

The near/far ratio was 0.1 to 1000, I changed it to 20 to 300 and it got rid of the artifacts!
honkFactory
Unregistered

Hey Holmes,
Nice work. I especially like the background. If you dont mind me asking, how did you do the background. I'm not asking for your source code (unless you want to share) just a push in the right direction. Keep up the good work.
I agree with an earlier post which said the movement of the viewer is a little disorienting. Maybe you should slow it down a bit or limit the angular travel of the viewer.
AW
The background is a spheremapped sphere that rotates. Only it doesn't look like a sphere (on purpose) because I made it out of very few polygons. I also have glColorMaterial (I think thats the command) enabled and I call glColor3f before I draw it to give it its color.

And yah, I have slowed it down a bit, I just don't have a new version up. Anyway, Tetris has to wait for me to learn Cocoa now since I want to give it a good interface and not have to deal with the complexities of doing that in OpenGL.