Audio Tutorials - really almost there!

Himiona
Unregistered

Well, Hi everyone! Smile
Been busy as all heck, and lots of news.

Leaving my 'day' job of 8 years to work full time in music and sound design for computer games (Yahoo!) Grin

Got a big-ish project on for PS2, Xbox and PC. A sports title no less.

So working two jobs essentially but excited because this Friday is my last day at my 'day' job. Ahhh, relief.

So - I managed to get my audio design tutorial into Carlos and he'll check it over and post it when he's finished. So it's coming.

Ahh well - time to get some sleep.ZZZ

Himiona
Quote this message in a reply
Thanks for all the hard work! Hurry up Carlos, I wanna read this one Smile

[edit]

Oh, but I guess it'll have to wait till after uDevGame. Therefor, I'll be expecting to read it Dec 3rd Wink

[/edit]

Cheers,
Rocco
⌘-R in Chief
ME TOO!!!
And me!

KenD
Founder
Ok, I will put uDevGame on hold until I finish proofing and laying out the tutorial?? Not happy?

I only have one brain. So everything is on the backburner until uDevGame voting is done. be patient, it isn't easy running this site.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Himiona
Unregistered

Thanks for the hard work Camacho.

Chill everyone - it's ready when it's ready :-) I hope it's up to scratch.

Cheers

Himiona
⌘-R in Chief
Three months later and no tutorial!!!! Carlos, oh Carlos?!
Rolleyes

What 'cha been doing, sleeping? ZZZ Grin

I'm quite anxious to read this tutorial, so can you let us know what status you're in or someting?

iDevGames:
ï Resource for Gaming
ï Positive affect on Industry
ï Not good for Ninja fights Ninja
Founder
I work on the site each day, but there is always too much to do. I have a folder with about 10 tutorials. I haven't touch them because for a long time I was looking for a new method to turn them into PDFs. I now have a good system. Next hurdle has been to get rid of OS 9 on my system and go 100% Mac OS X. I am now in the middle of setting up my system again. Once that is done, my focus will be to publish all the tutorials that have been on back hold.

Note: If people want to see the site contain fresh info and content, then they need to consider helping out. As it is, there are really only 4 or 5 people REALLY doing constant work on the site. That isn't enough IMHO.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
w_reade
Unregistered

Carlos, can I help with those tutorials? You sent me one a month or two ago, but I couldn't open it (it was empty in textedit, and double-clicking it just opened Danlab's crazy golf game...) and never heard anything more...

On a related note, I'd like to apologise and publicly abase myself for my laxness over the last few weeks - my spare time has been a bit limited lately, and all I've really been doing is speed-checking the news on my way to speed-checking the forum. Blush I think I'd be able to work on stuff offline more easily, so if you just send text and images I can check them and put them together (and pdf them for you too, if you like)...
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
Note: If people want to see the site contain fresh info and content, then they need to consider helping out. As it is, there are really only 4 or 5 people REALLY doing constant work on the site. That isn't enough IMHO.

I'd like to help, but am not sure what I could do. What can I do?
Founder
In terms of the tutorials, I have William and Chris to have them proofed. Once that is done, then I need to turn them into PDFs. Other stuff, mostly reporting news. Sometimes when we don't have news on the front page, it makes the site look out of touch, so I always want to see at least 2 new stories a day. We also need people to tell us when dev related tools are released, help find new good links, approach people about writing for us, or getting interviewed, etc.. Send me WHAT you can do by email so we don't take OT space in this thread.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
To keep you hungry developers fed, here is an article I found yesterday. It is NOT, I repeat NOT.. Himiona tutorial! But it does include topics that he covers...

Quote:Sounds Types and Sampling Rates

Analog
(Analogue): Continuously variable signal. A sound wave is analog and it varies continuously in amplitude. Recorded analog sound results when a pressure wave hits a microphone. The microphone is made from a vibrating membrane. The vibrating membrane pushes a wire through a magnetic field, which produces an electrical current. This current will vary in amplitude depending on the strength of the original sound wave

Digital
Digital sound is represented in numbers. All information is stored as 0 and 1 and the more 0 and 1's that are used to represent a part of a sound then the better the sound quality. This is covered in the Sampling Rates and Bits

Conversion Between Analogue and Digital
An analogue electrical signal can be converted to digital by sampling the sound; i.e., determining the voltage (amplitude) at regular time intervals. This converts a gradually changing wave into numbers that then can be stored and manipulated by a computer. When the sound is played back through a speaker it is reproduced as an analogue wave.

Sampling Rates and Bits
Sampling is not just a case of plug-in and record, well not if you want a good quality sample. Some have said that sampling is an art form in itself and should be treated so. Many make the mistake of just recording a sound source and then save it to disk and that is the end of the process, this is not the case for a serious use of samples in any program.

Many considerations have to be taken into place when recording a sound for a sample. What is the sample rate, how many bits used will affect the final sound, tidying up the sample, pop and clicks, loops, compression and normalisation are to name a few. Then there is the possibility to add effects like reverb (which I feel is necessary, reason later), delay, chorus and filters that will give the sample dynamics.

Every time a sound is sampled its amplitude is recorded. The actual amplitude is rounded off to the nearest available amplitude. The greater the bit depth, the more amplitude levels available. For example, when digitizing an analogue wave, the amplitude may actually be 1.1 units of sound intensity at a time of 1.234 s. But the amplitude may have to be rounded off to 1 because only certain discrete amplitudes are allowed. The more amplitude levels available, the higher quality the sound recording.

Why at a sample rate of 44,100 Hz?
Put quite simply, the human ear can only hear sounds up to 22,000 Hz and nothing after that. But with a digital recording, all the frequencies that a human can hear requires sampling at twice the rate. So this means recording a sample of 44,100Hz

Bit Depth
Use 8, 16, 24 or 32 bits? Simply put, to record a sample, the computer must convert the analogue sound and convert it into a digital sound. This means that the computer stores the sample as numerical data, it stores the sample as numbers in the computers memory or on a disk.

An 8bit number can have one of 256 values (28); a 16bit number one of 65,536 values (216). The more bits available to the sampler then the more accurate the description of the sound will be in the final sample.

The dynamic range of a sound represents the difference between the softest sound present in a recording and the loudest sound. An 8bit digitizer has a dynamic range of 48 decibels and a 16bit digitizer has a dynamic range of 96 dB. By comparison, the dynamic range of the human ear is approximately from silence to 120 db.

The best way to understand the difference between 8 bits & 16 bits is to record a sample at both resolutions and listen to the each, you will notice the difference in sound quality and also the size of the sample.

The 8bit sample is slowly being used less, as the 16bit sample is now the standard for everything to do with music.
Many newer software samplers can use and edit in 24 or 32-bit, but there are still many programs that cannot playback these types of rates, I suggest that you record and edit your sample in 24 or 32 and then convert the sample back to 16 bits. This will give a good quality sample in the end result. Remember to keep the 24 or 32 bit sample as a backup.

Technical tip: If you want to convert a 16bit to 8bit sample, change the frequency first and then change the resolution afterwards. This should make for just a good quality sample.

Frequencies
There are two types of frequency waves;

Shrill, this is a high frequency wave.
Bass tone is a low frequency wave.

In theory, bass tones are not required to be sampled at 44,100 Hz. These types of instruments can be recorded at 44.100 and then drop it to 22.050hz. This should be without any loss of quality to the sample. Sampling any instrument under 22.050hz is not recommended for any serious sample and the advice is, always sample at a higher Hz and then down-sample afterwards if needed.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Himiona
Unregistered

That's a great article. BTW I've put a rough version of the tutorial on my site. When I get it polished I'll fire it back through to Carlos.

for now got to my site:
http://www.castlesmusic.co.nz/

Click on the Blue Link on the bottom left corner of the page - Sound FX Tutorial.

Let me know what you think, if I get some comments I'll make the necessary changes and forward a final copy to Carlos.

Take care

Himiona
Quote:Carlos, can I help with those tutorials? You sent me one a month or two ago, but I couldn't open it (it was empty in textedit, and double-clicking it just opened Danlab's crazy golf game...) and never heard anything more...

this is a good thing :kiss:
Yeah, TNT basic sometimes does these amazing tricks WAHAHAHA! (one guy tried to open messenger and started Radical ReboundGrin Grin )

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Audio Tutorials - Almost there Himiona 1 3,211 Oct 17, 2002 04:33 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Audio Design Tutorials Himiona 6 5,073 Oct 7, 2002 07:05 PM
Last Post: Himiona