Build an engine or Use One

Deland
Unregistered

This is the difference between the game programmer and the game designer. If you feel more like designing a game, look around for an engine that does what you want and concentrate on the game: content, graphics, gameplay, etc.

Otherwise, the challenge of coding an engine is usualy a way of learning and having total control on the inner working. It's the difference between choosing your car's paint color and furnitures and building your own engine from the ground up.

Of course, getting an engine doesn't mean all the programming work is done, far from that. So it's up to you to determine the amount of time you're willing to spend on your game, as building an engine takes effort but is a rewarding task.

my 0.03$CAN cents
Quote this message in a reply
Fillbert
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Feanor
<sigh>Now, it occurs to me that asking for advice without stating one's priorities is hopeless. Fillbert, since you brought up the idea of basing your game on a library, what benefits were you expecting, ideally?

What do you mean?

Also where are some places I can find the code to load models. That is the major thing holding me back from starting anything. If you want to know the plans of the project it is to make an online shotter game wiht bits of RPG, RTS and FPS built into it.The way we are plannign on doing it is build a simple space shotting game or "engine" and then from that add on the stuff that we want. Its really just a fun project we came up with becsue we wantedt o amke a game and I've bad basic games and I wanted to try something a little more advacned.
w_reade
Unregistered

Have you checked the Downloads section? I'm sure there's some source code there for loading some 3d formats, including Meshwork iirc.
Fillbert
Unregistered

I think I may want to use LWO or Lightwave model files any links on that?
henryj
Unregistered

There is this really cool website called google (http://www.google.com) What it does is search the internet for websites. So you can type in "Lightwave format source code" for example and it will give you a list of sites that have source code to load LWO files.

You can also search for other things like Pamela Anderson videos.

Rasp
Feanor
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Fillbert
What do you mean?

Also where are some places I can find the code to load models. That is the major thing holding me back from starting anything. If you want to know the plans of the project it is to make an online shotter game wiht bits of RPG, RTS and FPS built into it.The way we are plannign on doing it is build a simple space shotting game or "engine" and then from that add on the stuff that we want. Its really just a fun project we came up with becsue we wantedt o amke a game and I've bad basic games and I wanted to try something a little more advacned.

OK, so your main concern is asset use. You are creating with Lightwave, but need a way to use those in your game. I followed henryj's suggestion and searched google. Didn't find much besides junk. I tried numerous combinations of terms, but by no means exhausted the possibilities. Maybe also check flipcode.com, gamedev.net and sourceforge.org.

If you can't find code for .lwo, you could use a utility to convert it to another format first.
Luminary
This link is a few down on the Google list using Henry's "example" search string:

http://www.gla55pak.com/lameduckie/02july/lwo_loader/

Looks like a good place to jump off from.
http://myfileformats.com/search.php?cat_...cs%20files
That has a whole bunch of useful 3D graphic models importer codes there
Fillbert
Unregistered

I should probably post this on other thread but I got the LW SDK and I got the files from that that load a LightWaev object. I also got the code for the program in teh link above. Thanks SkyHawk. But the when I try to load I get one error which in undefined sysmbols? I've got no clue on this one

Code:
StandaloneExecutable /Users/nathan/ModelLoader/build/ModelLoader
ld: warning prebinding disabled because of undefined symbols
ld: Undefined symbols:
lwGetObject(char*, unsigned*, int*)

/usr/bin/g++3  -o "/Users/nathan/ModelLoader/build/ModelLoader"  "-L/Users/nathan/
ModelLoader/build"  "-F/Users/nathan/ModelLoader/build"  -filelist "/Users/nathan/ModelLoader/
build/ModelLoader.build/ModelLoader.build/Objects-normal/LinkFileList"  "-arch" "ppc" "-prebind"
"-lstdc++"

...failed StandaloneExecutable.LinkUsingFileList /Users/nathan/ModelLoader/build/ModelLoader ...

And the code from my program is:
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <lwo2.h>
int main (int argc, const char * argv[])
{
    // insert code here...
    unsigned int one;
    int two;
    char *name = "Pencil.lwo";
    lwObject *temp;
    temp = lwGetObject(name,one,two);
    if(temp != NULL)
    std::cout << "Hello, World!\n";
    return 0;
}

Thank you very much to all so far...
henryj
Unregistered

It's a linker error. Did you compile the library and link against it? What does your make file look like?
Fillbert
Unregistered

No I didn't do that and I don't really know how to. I've never had to do it in the past.
The good thing about a space engine is that you can do away with many of the more difficult 3d programming aspects.

You can avoid writing code for BSPs, Portals, Octrees, and any occlusion scheme in general, terrain, etc... An all you really need is a static model drawing code - you dont need skeletal, skinning, animation, etc...

Collision is much simpler - especially if your ships have a convex hull - and you just blow up any ships that collide - instead of worrying about other kinds of collision response

If you had to write a first 3d engine - space sure seems the way to go.

good luck,
Codemattic
henryj
Unregistered

Quote:No I didn't do that and I don't really know how to. I've never had to do it in the past.

It would be a very good idea to learn how to do this before you even think about writing any sort of complicated code such as a game. A proficient c++ programmer should know how to do this. If you need help, ask.

Quote:You can avoid writing code for BSPs, Portals, Octrees,

View frustum culling would be a definite requirement and that implies some sort of spatial partitioning eg octree.
Fillbert
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by henryj
It would be a very good idea to learn how to do this before you even think about writing any sort of complicated code such as a game. A proficient c++ programmer should know how to do this. If you need help, ask.

Ok then the question now is can someone help me to do this? Please?Love
henryj
Unregistered

Which lwo loader did you choose?