Collaborative Lemmings/Worms RTS ideas

Luminary
Coming from the "Huge game projects" thread, I think the first step is a clear, concise, coherent and, above all, achievable design document to set the bounds for the first version at this game.

There have been lots of ideas discussed in this thread, some more possible than others. The hard ones need to be weeded out -- they can wait for version 2.0. The large tasks need to be weeded out -- they can wait for version 2.0. Even the easy, quick things that don't immediately impact on gameplay need to be weeded out -- they can wait for version 1.5 or 2.0.

At that point, we can consider whether QuickDraw is a better choice than OpenGL, or whether Cocoa is a better choice than Carbon Rasp
Quote this message in a reply
I agree, but what I was really asking was who will be leading this (and most likely providing the design document as well)?
ededed
Unregistered

I really think it should be Carbon OpenGL or at least Cocoa OpenGL because of the advantages of rotation and nice effects would be possible (like earthquakes that spin the screen and rain and snow). I dont have any real ideas for the actual game though...

Can anyone please email me or upload a Carbon Port of any of those wierd tests I made?
furballphat
Unregistered

LAL lalaal I need to sing!
ededed
Unregistered

Yes I read that and completly agree, OpenGL is the way to go!
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

How the heck did I miss this post? Anyway, even though I've got about 3-4 other projects, but I'm always looking for more things to try my programming abilities on. I'll be here if you need help. Cocoa OpenGL (or, Shockwave 3D Smile; it also is OpenGL accelerated and it'll be easier to make a Lemmings game in this) is what we should use.
sounds real cool,

I will be willing to help out with a design document or graphics if you need me.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I can write the AI engine and random level generation engine. Deforamable terrain: well, yeah. I've never tried a terragen engine in 2D. Don't look at me for art. As for sound (Sound Builder and Sound Studio). Yeah. Music. (Reason) Yeah. cutscenes....never mind. Leadership capabilities (no commentSmile I'll allow someone else)

Is this going to be an Inkubator project?
Do you want it to be an Inkubator project? :-)

This almost seems like the kind of effort that could be sold. I loev free (and open source) games for the mac, as witnessed by my participation in Snake Quest and Hooptie :-) but I think it would be a great goal to get a real talent pool together from those interested here at iDG to create a solid shareware game behind some kind of iDG development banner other than Inkubator. But I'd be more than willing to work on it in any form. As for leadership... ... ... ........ well, I don't think I have room in my schedule for it, but perhaps in time if nobody else has picked up the baton then I could get to work on a design document.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Sourceforge.net

Lets open source this. I have volunteered myself as project manager and assistant programmer.
Speaking of SourceForge, it looks like there is already someone running with this type of idea:

http://nil.sourceforge.net/ (scroll down and take a look at the screenshots)
furballphat
Unregistered

I've played that game, it's nothing special. It is just like worms, except you only control one worm, it's realtime and not as fun. It is much more action oriented than the strategy game we're planning here.

As far as design docs, we could create a temporary page on the Mac Game Wiki to throw around ideas.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Since I'm involved, expect lots of violent humor and comic mischeif! Grin
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Whats the name of the game and what are the Lemmings like creatures? They have to be cute, remember.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

How 'bout Piggies. In the intro, they look really cute at first (smiling, fat, and pink), but then they pull out AK-47's and gun down the camera. Smile Fuzzy noise then blanks out the screen. Grin