Collaborative Lemmings/Worms RTS ideas

Potential name of the game: Creatures of Deep Earth

And of course we can't actually call the lemmings lemmings, because that's a very trademarked/copyrighted 'idea', even if the word lemming refers to real furry suicidal creatures who have been known to walk off cliffs in droves. So any ideas for what we will call our lemmings? Any alternate ideas for the name of the game?
Quote this message in a reply
furballphat
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by DaFalcon
I find it hard to imagine a lemming using a grappling hook (unless the player is specificially controlling it) because the AI might not know when/how to use it. The player should Definitely be able to have a grappling hook. And maybe we can offer the grappling hook ability to lemmings if players are willing to micro-manage them. Maybe only big lemmings can have them? Maybe they can carry smaller lemmings across in their arms?

What if the lemmings are set to follow another, player controlled lemming which uses the grappling hook and the others follow.

And w_reade: here's my plug:
[url=http://pc-80-195-8-120-ed.blueyonder.co.uk/~adam/Binrakers.tgz][/url]
Quote:What if the lemmings are set to follow another, player controlled lemming which uses the grappling hook and the others follow.

Sounds good to me as long as all of those lemmings have a grapling hook ability. Or if one of them has the ability and can carry the others across one by one, that'd work. Or maybe they could create a lemming-chain, with one using the grappling hook and others hanging off of his and climbing over each other to get up. Sounds complicated but comical.

Keep the ideas flowing ;-)
Quote:Originally posted by furballphat
And w_reade: here's my plug:
[url=http://http://pc-80-195-8-120-ed.blueyonder.co.uk/~adam/Binrakers.tgz][/url] [/b]

Whoops, one extra http:// in there :-)
How smart will the "lemmings" be? What sort of behaviors will be automatic and what sort of behaviors must the player specifically order?
jamie
Unregistered

Don't want to get to literal im sure but here is a link with lots of info about 'real lemmings'

http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/hww-...=61&lang=e

might be some useful information...
Well, as a strategy game we don't want the lemmings wandering off and doing their own thing too much, but we do want to be able to have them defend themselves, and fight when we aren't paying attention. They should not explore on their own (but we should be able to set a patrol like in StarCraft). Pathfinding will VERY important, and as w_reade mentioned earlier, group movement will be imporant too.

Can lemmings overlap? I'm tempted to say yes, but maybe it can be like parchisi: two lemmings on the same space means no more lemmings can pass that space. So that way you can march armies past a ninja standing guard, but two such ninjas would block the enemy's path (forcing him to fight the ninjas essentially)... Of course, we would want our troops to be smart enough to move aside to let our troops pass any of our blockades. Basically, we would just check to see if two lemmings overlap on a pixel-by pixel basis to check if there is a blockage there or not. Of course, the enemy can always just tunnel under or blow up a lemming blockade :-)

The two-lemmings per pixel rule would be good for preventing cluttering and to prevent 50 lemmings from marching into one mine and all exploding at once. And it is also 'realistic' if you just assume that the depth of the tunnels is such that only two lemmings would be able to fit side-by-side at a time. Makes sense to me.

As for 'above ground' areas... I assume that there could be an area above ground too with no lemming-per-pixel limits and where it is much easier to see everything that is going on. You could walk above ground over above where you think the enemy base is, then drill down and drop your army from above. Taking control of the 'overworld' would be very important.
Quote:Originally posted by jamie
Don't want to get to literal im sure but here is a link with lots of info about 'real lemmings'

http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/hww-...=61&lang=e

Fascinating creatures :-) I remember reading a little about them in a wildlife factfile I had growing up, but didn't know all of that. Lemmings really are perfect for the lemmings game :-) They even appropriately "fall from the sky."

We could call our creatures kilangmiutaks, or kilas for short. Kilangmiutak is a Inuit name for a breed of lemming and means "one-who-comes-from-the-sky" according to that link
That article didn't mention the most interesting fact of all. Lemmings are known to all simultaneously jump into the freezing ocean, where they die, for no apparent reason.
furballphat
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by geezusfreeek
That article didn't mention the most interesting fact of all. Lemmings are known to all simultaneously jump into the freezing ocean, where they die, for no apparent reason.

Not quite. This is a myth. Although lemmings do sometimes fall off cliffs or into lakes when looking for new places to populate, they do not purposefully dive off cliffs.

[url=http://www.snopes2.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm][/url]
Oh great, you ruined my greatest animal trivia ever. Thanks lemmingphat!

I like the max two lemmings per pixel thing, btw.
w_reade, since I got home from work I've been so busy blasting sheep ... it's all your fault, darnit! Good work, by the way, a well polished UDG entry :-)

So all you programmers out there reading all of this, are you thinking "oh no!" as you read it, or does most of this sound completely do-able? I have a feeling we'll be doing alot of pixel-checking for overlap and movement and digging and stuff. Is that going to be expensive processor wise? I don't even know what I'm talking about, huh? :-)

What kind of technologies should we be looking at? Open GL? Are there existing game engines that sound like they'd help put us in the right direction... are any of you working on such an engine that you'd like to contribute? Is this going to be a coco-a/obj-C game, or do we target a wider audience? Perhaps it is still too soon to ask these questions, we still have a lot of design left. And also, I know you're all recovering from the madness of the last minute in UDG, not to mention playing all those great games.

And are we all seeing this as an open source effort, or as more of a development team thing that we can eventually release as shareware? I'm up for either one, I just want to play this :-) And I want input from everyone in this community :-) Gameplay suggestions, code suggestions, game asset contributions ... everything. I like the names I'm seeing who look to be interested in this topic, but then basically everyone here is so talented... I really do hope that everyone with any interest can join in and help out somehow.
Luminary
The processor requirements sound feasible (after all, Lemmings didn't need much).

I'd recommend QuickDraw/CopyBits for this task, but whether you hang that on a Carbon foundation or just use an NSQuickDrawView is up to you...
I created a tiny section of a mock up of what the game could look like. Two teams have confronted each other, and the green duelist lemming has shot one blue lemming and is about to do away with another. The second green lemming is climbing up to haul away some biomass, and yeah, that is a rather large green lemming waiting below in case blue launches a counter-attack.

[Image: fakegame.gif]

I created the 'lemming' guys in a rather large sized photoshop file with paths for potentially easy animation. None of the graphics are anti-aliased, so they would work with a simple black/white mask.

... I thought it would be nice to get some ideas for the look of the game, even if these wouldn't be anything like the final look for the game's characters :-)

And now, the lemming guy dance! [Image: danceguy.gif]
[you may have to open him in a new window to see him dance. I do. I don't know why.]
w_reade
Unregistered

Nice lemmingsÖ no time for a long reply, will check back later.

Cheers
william