Tool for designing games

Pepe
Unregistered

Hey folks,

I wanted to know what tools you use for designing...

a, 3D Worlds?
b, Humans, Faces, etc. (must not be 3D)?
c, 3D models like humans, animals, space ships, etc?
d, a 2D space shooter (you know, designing ships, rocks, lasers, stars, etc.)?

Thank you! Would be great if the tools would work either on OS 9 or on X.

Yours,
Pepe

PS: I personally like the graphics of Airburst. No clue what the developers used to create these nice graphics Huh ...
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
>I wanted to know what tools you use for designing...

There are two types of games, one type uses actual 3d geometry to simulate a 3d world. Another type uses pre-rendered 3d graphics in a 2d world. (So to speak) The graphics you see in a game like Airburst uses pre-rendered graphics. The postmortem (you did read it on our site right?) talks about the tool used - Cinema 4D.

So, to help you, you really need to say what type of game you want to create. For example your question...

>a, 3D Worlds?
My answer could be Bryce or 3DS Max depending on what the game called for.

>b, Humans, Faces, etc. (must not be 3D)?
If you don't plan to use the models in a true 3d game, then Poser offers the easiest route. Hash Animation Master, Shade 3D, ZBrush and many more would offer better face modeling.

>c, 3D models like humans, animals, space ships, etc?
Humans and animals are very different from space ships in general. They are more organic, while things like ships, buildings have sharper edges. I like Strata 3D for mechanical objects, but it falls flat for organic work. For that, check out ZBrush, or Carrara.

>d, a 2D space shooter (you know, designing ships, rocks, lasers, stars, etc.)?
Photoshop would be a part of the toolset for sure. Strata 3D or Carrara Basic (just released) would also handle the job.

If you want to create TRUE 3d objects, then check out Meshwork.

>I personally like the graphics of Airburst.

Buy the T-shirts from Adam and Aaron. Rolleyes

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Pepe
Unregistered

At first I want to thank you for your fast reply.

The game I'd like to create is a 2D space shooter with 3D graphics.

I already use Meshwork to create the ships, but for humans, that means in detail: faces, animations, I can't recommend it. What do you think, what tool was used for - let's say- the players in the Freeverse games like BMPL or the like? You know, the faces I'd like to create don't need to be 3D, but at least they should have a "touch" of 3D.

That's why I asked for your opinion. Seems like Carrara Basic or Shade 3D are alternatives, Strata 3D, Amapic, etc. are tools I rather don't like to use (even if they're powerful). I also have to check out Cinema 4D, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I read the postmortem, but that was some weeks ago Rolleyes

Oh, not to forget: do you have the direct links to the tools you recommended?

Thank you!
Lightwave Lightwave Lightwave Smile

For people and faces like Carlos said Animation Master might be a good choice. It's fairly cheap in comparison to other packages. The animation capabilities are pretty good IMO but it's a tad bit unstable. You can use this app's models in a truly 3D game using the .ply format that it can export to.

If you're looking to spend a good chunk of money Lightwave is a great app with a very helpful online community. Plus if you are in school you can get an educational discount (you can for Animation Master too I believe).

-- Ian

P.S. I have used Animation Master to make a 2D style mortal kombat style fighting game in the past (never quite finished it though)
Founder
>tad bit unstable

tad???

Be honest.
:-)

Read my article on the state of 3d on the Mac and you can find many links in it.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by Pepe

The game I'd like to create is a 2D space shooter with 3D graphics.
check out BOB2. It uses opengl to render all the ships in 3D but everything is done on a 2D plane
As for Freeverse games, I know that Steven Tze draws out his sketches on paper first, he then scans it in and uses Photoshop to go over it and color it. His style is not atypical, but may not be for everyone. But you can't deny how good his stuff looks.

There is something to be said for drawn faces versus modelled faces, as a drawn face can have a lot more character without a huge amount of work. But it requires some artistic drawing talent...
Founder
Good point GoodDoug. In Japan, most anime/manga starts off as pencil sketches and then gets scanned for use in Photoshop or Shade 3D. I also recall an AAA game using clay to model the characters.

I would love to see a game that uses clay to make its worlds. For example, a platform game.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
I also recall an AAA game using clay to model the characters.

I would love to see a game that uses clay to make its worlds. For example, a platform game.

You would be thinking of Doug TenNapel of "Earthworm Jim" fame. The game you are thinking of is http://www.dreamworksgames.com/Games/Neverhood - criminally never relased for the Mac.

-Codemattic
w_reade
Unregistered

I think there was a dinosaur one-on-one fighter in the arcades (Primal Rage?) where all the sprites were manipulated photos of clay models. Not an especially good game (in my recollection).

Öin case anyone cares
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Ian Kerr
Lightwave Lightwave Lightwave Smile

Yeah. LightWave rocks. I use LightWave, Bryce, and ....I would like to use Photoshop but I don't have it (yet). I also used a Illustrator demo once.
Nibbie
I use Bryce and photoshop and I would like to get lightwave. I also havethe rest of the adobe design collection.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I would like some pointers for designing games. AdrianTerror 3 3,676 Apr 20, 2009 12:46 AM
Last Post: filfil96