Quickly refreshing NSViews

anarchie
Unregistered

If you're not running NSApplication, or you're in a separate thread from the running NSApplication, you have to make the current run loop run...
Quote this message in a reply
Hey thanks! It works now. Now I have to speed it up... Rasp I'm getting 25 fps with two sprites on the screen, only one of which moves Sad
Steven
Ok; I'm up to 208 FPS. The problem is that when it refreshes it this fast, the screen isn't in sync. It jumps again. Can I force the info to be dumped to the screen ASAP instead of when the OS feels like doing it? Thanks guys,
Steven
Well I got it to be not jumpy by moving it out of a thread; but now I'm only getting 43 FPS. How can I get it to go faster?
Steven
anarchie
Unregistered

Using Obj-C in place of Java would make it go a bit faster.
Well I know Java but I dont' know Obj-C. Rasp
Steven
Luminary
If you know Java, it should take you a couple of hours at the most to learn 90% of ObjC...
My point is that why learn both the API and the language at the same time when I could just learn the API? I don't think that coding it in Obj-C is going to make too much difference...
Steven
Luminary
The point isn't really that ObjC will make your game go faster, but that people will be more able to help you, and that there are excellent profiling tools available that will tell you which parts of your code are slow.

I'm using Lua for the bulk of my uDevGame entry, which is significantly slower than Java, and I'm doing more complex stuff than you are by the sounds of it, and I don't have any performance problems. It should therefore not be a problem to get your frame-rate up Smile
Ok; I'll work on it more after I finish up my uDG entry.
Steven

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quickly determining if a closed polyline is clockwise or counter-clockwise TomorrowPlusX 6 8,975 Apr 9, 2011 04:03 PM
Last Post: Skorche
  Refreshing NSViews Steven 13 5,128 Oct 26, 2002 04:08 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie