Static Library

So i have to make my code in a static library because my publisher wants to sign it and I would rather not give them the source code.
Here is what I went through and please point out anything I did wrong\wrong assumptions

I made a new project of type coca touch static library
I copied all my source code and frameworks into there(framework refrences anyhow)
I built it and copied the output into my original project
I deleted all the source code from the original project except for main and pch file
I built and it worked. However interface builder compalined because I guess it can't see my appdelegate and main view.
So i copied those 2 files back over and rebuilt.
Now when I compile I couldn't see any of my .h files so I went to the library and changed every .h to public and rebuilt. Copied all the headers that it copied to an other source folder and built. Now it builds but I get a linker error that some files I guess it can't find the .o for

This is where I am currently. Does anyone know what to do next and anything I did that was a bad idea?
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:So i have to make my code in a static library because my publisher wants to sign it and I would rather not give them the source code.

Huh? Blink
He wants to take away the .m from his files and just give his publisher a library. Like a DLL or a .a, you know? Static link library, like he said. I need to figure out how to do that myself for my engines. Sorry I can't help.
⌘-R in Chief
It's obvious he wants to make a static library, it's the "why" that's not clear.

Though it just clicked. I couldn't get past why you'd not give the code to your publisher, but anyway..... just give them the built app and they can sign that. Code signing doesn't need the source code.
Why would I need to give them the source code if I don't have to? That's my response to your question Smile I mean ideally in a perfect world thats fine but I don't really know all the employes that would have it. Maybe I am being paranoid. If you can resign an already signed app though that solves all my problems. I did get the static app to compile however by removing the 2 files I copied over and just making sure their headers were in there. After that I can run it but I get an assertion error in UIApplication. No more a specific message then that.

Doing some googling on that and don't see how its done exactly(Signing an already built\signed app). Do you have any links talking about that?
⌘-R in Chief
If you're being paranoid about your "publisher", then why are you using them? That's probably what you should be asking yourself. Rasp

An app is built, then signed. Just look at the full build log in Xcode and you'll see the lines where it signs your app. You should just be able to replicate that and everything will work fine.
I dunno... I think I can understand why it might be uncomfortable sending off something that might represent hundreds of hours of labor to someone, and never know for sure who's hands it might wind up in, or what may become of it. Plus, what do they need the code for anyway?
I think in the end they don't need it, as they can re-sign without recompiling the code.

kendric, I can understand caution, but this stuff should really be covered in your contract with them, i.e. if your contract says the code remains your intellectual property then if someone went and used it you would have the law on your side.
Yeah and would have to hire a lawyer and have to prove they leaked it instead of me. Sounds like a loosing battle.
I may just be paranoid in general. Since I don't know any publishers, I have no basis for not being paranoid of giving my code out Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Static libraries... the_wandering_monster 6 4,262 Dec 31, 2009 03:46 PM
Last Post: the_wandering_monster