CubeX: Porting discussions

For mine, (homepage.mac.com/jeremybell/FileSharing.html) create a folder in the project folder called "fmod" and put fmod.h, fmod_errors.h, and libfmod.a into that folder.

Last time I checked, however, there were some problems getting the fmod library to link because of a redefinition of realloc, which is defined in one of objective C's standard libraries. I remember there being a fix to this, but it escapes me at the moment. In the meantime, you can disable fmod and just use SDL_mixer by un-commenting out the #define USE_MIXER at the top of sound.cpp and removing the -lfmod linker flag in linker settings, and adding -framework SDL_mixer.
Quote this message in a reply
psychlonex
Unregistered

Awesome, thanks Jero! That is exactly what was happening to me I think, I had mucked with it a bunch, but gave up with only one fatal error, something about the realloc thing. I can't remember exactly what it said. I'll try your suggestions though and see what I can come up with.

On a side note, would it be possible for someone to build it and post the resulting app, so that noob's like myself can get a look at what it's maybe capable of before spending a day or 2 trying to build it?

Thanks JeroMiya and OSC for your help so far.. I've so much to learn, it's dizzying!

Psx
psychlonex
Unregistered

yay!!! got it going! Successfully played a few games, though the mouse problems make it really hard to play/edit. I found Jeremy's directions on the cube site (go figure!). For the record, that link is here:
http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/forum.php4...ead_id=145

Anything that isn't answered here seems to be there.

A few other links I found useful, well... one other one...:
http://pakrat.fragland.net/

It's a pretty simple program to view skins on models. Dunno, I thought it looked handy.

Now... as might have been expected... I have questions Smile

I managed to get the default maps and stuff installed, editing is impossible, and ridiculously easy, so I'm not worried about that.

I'm wondering where the customization begins? I mean... as I'm learning cocoa, everything seems to be subclass this, subclass that, etc. Makes good sense, but I don't know where to begin with Cube. What I mean:

I want to change monster behavior. Do I do this by subclassing something? By building a cocoa wrapper to interface with the monster.cpp in some way?

Fullscreen? Is it just a ton of work, or does SDL make this any easier? Do any links exist as to how SDL plays a role in there, or should I just be digging through the src files for Cube to find this out?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't expect all to be answered. Any insiqht though would be awesome. I'm hoping to be able to contribute something back Wacko

psx
Full screen is not enabled because of the mouse problem you seem to be describing. Or perhaps you need to up the mouse sensitivity a bit. Anyway, when in full-screen, the mouse movement is not relative. If the mouse moves to the right side of the screen, it stops, and you can no longer look to the right. When in windowed mode, this seems to work correctly (although the mouse speed is too low by default. I just up it). This is a bug with SDL, not cube or the port.

As for modifying the AI or other parts... well Cube is set up to be as simple as possible, but not as extensible as possible. You just have to modify the AI source file with your new AI.
Luminary
Just thought I should say that I haven't died...

I've got the newest version of Cube building, and I've got a mac-user-friendly distribution set up which compiles SDL, copies resources, moves the broken .mids, &c, automatically from the PB project.

However, I'm crashing in gluBuild2DMipmaps on startup now... I'm going to have to try to track this down before I can post the build.
Luminary
Hmm, seems the crash is unpredictable (as always). The archive's too big for me to want to post if for the world; anyone who wants it can email me personally (from my profile) and I'll send the URL.

Carlos, if you want to host this on iDevGames, that might be good.
psychlonex
Unregistered

I realized finally that my mouse problem was an issue with my wacom tablet, not the window. If I use the trackpad it works as expected. I found the stuff to make it run fullscreen, and saw what Jeremy was talking about. ARGH! Anyway, windowed mode works fine. Quickly... if I plan to run in full-screen (and the bug is fixed/fixable) do I even need the cocoa files, or would it compile fine without them?

I'd be interested in the package OSC, send it along if you can figure out the crashing. I want to try a 2 player game.

psx