Open GL and objects (newbie question)

I'm intersted in starting a simple Open GL app but I don't know much about supported objects. Now I know that Open GL doesn't have standard object type like QuickDraw 3D's 3DMF format.

What I wanna do is make simple objects (like the cars in the game Spectre Supreme) and use those to move and rotate in a 3D world.

I'm not too focused on the 3D world now, but I am more concerned about the object. Can I hard code them, and if I can is the drawing procedure similiar to Cocoas NSBezierPath (like, join points to get lines). Or am I better importing a pre made 3D object in some format.

Also, once I have my objects drawn, how do I animate them?

Thanks for your time

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Quote this message in a reply
Jeff Binder
Unregistered

It's probably best to load the models from a file of some kind. Meshwork files are easy to load and can be created with the program of the same name (http://www.codenautics.com/meshwork). There's some sample code here on iDevGames for loading and drawing models in that format.

For animation, there are a few ways to do it. For a simple way, you have each frame as a separate mode. Then, when you draw it, you interpolate between the poses. For example, if the character is in pose 1 at the beginning of the animation, and in pose 2 after 0.5 seconds, you do this to get the vertices that you actually draw:
Code:
(pseudocode)
t = time / 0.5
for all vertices in pose1 and pose2
   drawnvertex = pose1vertex * (1-t) + pose2vertex * t
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie question regarding Resources folder antester 2 2,609 Dec 5, 2007 09:21 PM
Last Post: antester
  Another newbie OSX question - SDL Jesse 1 2,470 Jul 15, 2004 02:53 PM
Last Post: IBethune
  newbie question: agl vs cgl GioFX 3 2,957 Jul 1, 2004 12:16 AM
Last Post: GioFX
  Newbie to Open GL BlueAvian 5 2,808 Jun 13, 2003 07:09 PM
Last Post: Iceman
  drawing objects in openGL, plane question. xDexx 7 5,432 Apr 28, 2003 01:06 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie