Our own Super Smash Bros. Style Game

Luminary
Well said.

Good to see there's someone on these forums with the guts to say what the rest of us can't Wink
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Second thought, why donĂ­t we just make Chaos Tournament a game w/ characters from iDevGames.com members. The characters can be from our future games and from our past games. (I said that before, didn't I?). When I made that last post, I hadn't slept for who knows how long, and I was up during the wee hours of the morning. I don't normally stay up that late (it ages you, y'know) and as I now reread my last post I see how stupid it was. Thank you codemattic for using that granite boulder on me.

/ / the man from infinity senses he should go to sleep earlier/ /
What about "VideoGame Reject Chaos Party"?

featuring all the videogame characters that couldnt quite make it into the big time. They are all bitter and angry and want their 15 minutes of fame back. I dont think parody is covered by copyright - so it might even be legal. Each could their own little backstory.

Alfonso:
<picture of Alfonso - a skinny Italian man> "When I went for my audition, Myamoto told me they were looking for someone heavier. So like Brando - or any serious method actor I went home and starting eating the pasta and quickly gained 100 pounds <picture of Alfonso as a big fat man>. I was so big that I could barely walk and I needed my brothers Mario and Luigi to help carry me to the next audition. Now the designer says to me Im *too* fat - but then he hires my brothers on the spot. They go on to become big big stars - but nobody remembers Alphonso. And now I cant lose the weight. You guys were my brothers - it was always Mario's turn, Luigi's turn - well when is it Alfonso's turn?! I coulda been a contender. <anguished> I coulda been... somebody.
special powers: his hulking weight
catchphrase: "Itsa me, f***in Alphonso - now go get me muffins!"

'Speed' the Squirrel:
"Sega hired me cause I was fast. They wanted this speedy character and they liked how I moved. But after every take, the designer would say 'thats great speed - but lets do one more - and see if you can turn it up a notch!' Turn it up a notch - what an asshole. You try running upside down and smashing into a spike strip all day long. And every time I protested that I couldnt go any faster - they kept hinting that there were other characters they had in the wing that were younger and more eager and more flexible than me. So I kept pushing and pushing myself. And it was around this time that I started to use the crystal meth. At first it was great - I could do a 24 hour shoot with no slowdown at all. Of course I ground my teeth down to nubs and kept pulling out my blue spikey hair in fits of anxiety - but none of that mattered to the firm as long as I kept running around in circles like an imbecile. When I finally bottomed out - they found me curled in my trademark ball in the corner on a pile of magic rings. They replaced me with some non-union hedgehog for one tenth the price and discontinued my health insurance. I need this job on VideoGame Reject Chaos Party. Do you guys offer Dental?"
special powers: manic energy

Crash Bandicoot:
"I never hid the fact that I was gay - it just never came up. Then I went and marched in one pride parade and got my picture in the paper and suddenly Sony isnt returning any of my calls. They have to understand its a new world - havent they ever heard of Will and Grace for heavensake! For the pride of all my gay/lesbian/bisexual/bi-curious/transgendered bandicoot brethren I must now kick some ass."
special powers: pink triangles (used like throwing stars). rainbow laser beam.

The frozen re-animated corpse of Walt Disney:
"The company was worried that we might not be able to extend copyrights yet again - so they reanimated me to start laying down the law!"
special powers: ice ray - which freezes characters and transfers them into Disney's copyright.

ok - now *I* need some sleep,
cheers,
Codemattic
Hehe, those where funny Grin

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Codemattic that was HILARIOUS (too bad you couldn't hear me say that in a nasal voice). Ian Kerr, you mentioned earlier in this post that you were working on a game of this style. Could we hear more about it? Also, sometime ago I considered asking Ambrosia and Freeverse to make a game in which characters from many of their games would fight against each other, kinda like in the cool Dreamcast/arcade game Marvel vs. Capcom (ie: Spiderman vs. Megaman.)
Here are a couple screen shots from the prototype...

http://www.mnsi.net/~rkerr/uDev/screens.html

I was going to enter it in the uDev contest but it's not going to be done. A little demo (that runs very slowly) can be found at http://www.mnsi.net/~rkerr/source/CEGL_A...6_2002.sit

-- Ian
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Hey! That looked good. What characters are you using in there? The game looks good. You might need to adjust the walking speed of the dwarf, though, and you should give him an axe. It looks like you used LightWave .mot files. Could I see the code for the reading of them? It had really good graphics.
The character you saw was one of mine (he has no name). The walking speed is most definitely too large, but that is a really old build and the problem has been fixed. I haven't given him an axe yet simply because I'm not sure if I want to build the axe geometry right into the dwarf geometry or if I want to keep them separate. One advantage of keeping them separate is that it makes it easy to add features like the dwarf dropping his weapon or having it get knocked out of his hand. I did use .mot except they weren't exported from Lightwave, they were exported from Animation Master. I'm going to look at the Lightwave SDK to see if they are in fact the same (I hope they are but I have my doubts). The code wouldn't be any use to you because it depends on other files from my engine, which in turn depend on other files, etc, eventually you'd need the whole engine. I can't find the SDK with the file format specs on their ftp site anymore. If you really want the specs you can e-mail me and I'll send them to you, but they're probably only useful to you if you have the program.

-- Ian Kerr
Quote:Originally posted by AJ Infinity
A possible character list for Chaos Tournament:

and maybe I can get ZSculpt entertainment to allow us to use the Dark Castle character.

I believe that Delta Tao is marketing Dark Castle.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Well, I thought the first Dark Castle game was done by ZSculpt. Maybe I'm wrong. Huh
Luminary
Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle were done by Silicon Beach Software way back in the way-back-whens.

Delta Tao bought the rights and source to the games, and colorized Dark Castle and made it run on System 7.

ZSculpt are currently making Dark Castle 3, which seems to be in an interminable state of public beta. The game will be published by Delta Tao.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Please share your opinion about our game Boss Fight Style Pondkung 0 2,184 Sep 4, 2012 02:39 AM
Last Post: Pondkung
  Game art style suggestions for next game? bigbadbrush 11 9,695 Oct 11, 2010 03:48 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Smash Brothers moonliterhythm 14 5,804 Jan 19, 2007 07:23 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  style of game AREM 2 4,025 Aug 28, 2003 06:56 AM
Last Post: Bjoernke