Our own Super Smash Bros. Style Game

AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Has anyone ever making a Super Smash Bros. style Game with characters like Rollie McFly (Bugdom), the Airburst characters, some of the monsters from Giants: Citizen Kabuto, etc. We'd have some major licensing issues to get characters from commercial games but if indie developer are willing it may be possible. It could be called Chaos Tournament. I had planned on making something like this before, but with original characters. I've always like the game Super Smash Bros. because there is just something fun about using Donkey Kong, Fox McCloud, or Link to knock Mario out of the arena. I've always noticed that Super Smash Bros. has always entertained kids but we could make Chaos Tournament to entertain anybody. Actually, Super Smash Bros. is a pretty violent game, esp. the GameCube version.
Quote this message in a reply
Lets see, what Mac-only/first characters can we come up with...
Rollie McFly, Otto Matic, Nanosaur, Ferazel, Moon, BPM and the other Airburst characters, Marathon marine, Monte and Jen from Freeverse, Toolots from GreenDragon, Harry the handsome executive... am I missing anyone?

I'd play it just for the kitsch.
That would be cool, but I think it would be rather impossible to get the licensing.

BTW, Super Smash Bros(both of em) appeal to any age(except too young, they can't respond to all the action). Believe me, I have cousins that are 10 thats playing it and I have people that are 40 thats playing it.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
w_reade
Unregistered

but then, people on this forum might be more inclined to let their own characters be used in such a game, particularly if there were some sort of little marketing incentive for them (like a link to somewhere they could download the original game featuring each characterÖ?).

If I'd actually designed any suitable characters, I'd offer themÖ ok, I would if I'd designed any characters at all Rolleyes Smile

How about Hooptie? And the guy from the Dark Castle games (were they originally on the mac?) and not just the marathon marine, we could have "pfhor warrior"

I'm sure there are more - I don't actually recognise a lot of the characters in SSBM, except possibly in a vague "oh, that's X from Y on the snes, is it? I heard it was goodÖ" sort of way, so they don't all need to be that well known.
I wouldn't mind beating on Cap'n Hector...
It might be possible to get licensing for all the characters, if you take them from the same company, and then let the company market it. Ambrosia seems like a good target, lots of games and they market the software of small third party developers.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Hooptie in Chaos Tournament.. now that I'd want to see :-)

And he's just pushed a chunk of ice onto Cap'n Hector from above...!
I've been programming a game similar to what you guys are talking about. I've been using the CEGL Engine that I've been working on for years. I have a large code base to work with as far as graphics go, however I have almost no networking and sound code. If people are interested I can give you some more info...

-- Ian Kerr
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I had hoped to make Chaos Tournament with characters from some of my future games, plus characters from indie game developers. I don't have time to work on Chaos Tournament right now though because I'm bogged down with too much stuff (school work, working on my Flash game, and trying to beat Tomb Raider Chronicles and Myst 3Smile). I just wanted to throw a cool idea into the iDG forums.
Hmm... Hooptie fighting like a maniac should be as entertaining to me as Mario and Link beating each other up. How many characters could we possibly get just from the developers associated with the forums?
ZeroCool
Unregistered

I loved smash bros...

and since liscensing would be suh a problem, we should just use characters from this idevgames competetion and the ones before. Share, and share alike.

Of course I wouldn't be interested in programming it, but I could make some 3D characters (remade if they were not previousley 3D), in Meshwork.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

OK, since I stopped working on my Flash game, I now have a little time to do this. How 'bout this...we use characters from:

Shareware GameMakers (Ambrosia, Freeverse, etc)
Indie Developers
Our Future Games
Our Games that Never Made it Past the Design Stage

Hey! Maybe we could get Freeverse to use some of their monkeysCool !
I'm not sure about any of the others, but I bet Ambrosia charges quite a bit for a license. As much as I love their games (they're my ultimate favorite shareware publishers) they are always finding ways to make more money....
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

A possible character list for Chaos Tournament:

The 4 Airburst Characters
The 6 Characters from Ambrosiaís pop-pop
Blinky and some other characters from Ambrosiaís Bubble Trouble.
Jen, Monte, and some Freeverse monkeys
Hooptie the penguin
Capín Hector
AJ Infinity (Character from a game Iím making in dim3)
A.robo (Robotic character from a game Iím making)
Otto Matic and a Brain Alien from Pangeaís Otto Matic
Rollie McFly from Pangeaís Bugdom
Dinosaur from Pangeaís Nanosaur
Marathon marine and a Pfhor warrior
Stic-People (from my Stic-Games Iím making in Flash)
The Marathon marine and pfhor warrior

A possible control system for Chaos Tournament:
Arrow Keys-Move
Spacebar-Jump
Shift-Duck
Control-Shield (Defend)
Option-Grab
<-Kick
>-Punch
Command-Special Attack

Iím going to send emails to Pangea, Ambrosia, Freeverse, & the other companies, asking them if itís all right if we use their characters in CT and if they will help us publish it, etc. Any
suggestions? I also may be able to get Freeverse or Pangea to allow us to use some of their characters, and maybe I can get ZSculpt entertainment to allow us to use the Dark Castle character. Maybe Ambrosia might allow us to use their characters, if we let them publish CT, but I donít want to see Ambrosiaís logo on the gameís intro screen. I want to have all the logo from all the developers, designers, and artists involved in CT. Second thought, why donít we just make Chaos Tournament a game w/ characters from iDevGames.com members. The characters can be from our future games and from our past games.
Quote:Originally posted by AJ Infinity
Iím going to send emails to Pangea, Ambrosia, Freeverse, & the other companies, asking them if itís all right if we use their characters in CT and if they will help us publish it, etc. Any
suggestions? I also may be able to get Freeverse or Pangea to allow us to use some of their characters, and maybe I can get ZSculpt entertainment to allow us to use the Dark Castle character.

dont take this the wrong way - but are you crazy? Why not call Disney up and ask to use Mickey Mouse whlie you are at it?* Companies and authors are usually very very very defensive about the use of their characters/mascots/icons. These little cartoon/polygon characters represent the image of the company. (contrasted of course to the widespread use of Tux from the opensource linux world) If I was in their position I want to know what kind of quality I can expect from you (assuming Im even interested). The first question Im going to ask is for you to show me the last projects youve completed. You better not tell me this is your first big project. Your reputation should preceed you.

My suggestion is to code. You need to produce. If you are an artist - model, draw, design, compose, etc... but produce your own original works before trying to appropriate others'.

Code talks - you know what walks.

Codemattic

* actually if our bought-and-paid-for politicians didnt keep extended copyright indefinitely we actually *could* make a fighting game with good ol Steamboat Willy. Disney gets to remake all those Brothers Grim stories without paying a cent of royalties - but now wants copyrights for themselves to infinity and beyond. Go get em Lessig!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Please share your opinion about our game Boss Fight Style Pondkung 0 1,897 Sep 4, 2012 02:39 AM
Last Post: Pondkung
  Game art style suggestions for next game? bigbadbrush 11 8,965 Oct 11, 2010 03:48 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Smash Brothers moonliterhythm 14 5,297 Jan 19, 2007 07:23 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Gauntlet-style bot movements buddy 4 4,371 Oct 14, 2003 03:15 AM
Last Post: Jason Colman
  style of game AREM 2 3,752 Aug 28, 2003 06:56 AM
Last Post: Bjoernke