Scrolling Backgrounds

cloke
Unregistered

I am trying to find a more effecient way of drawing scrolling backgrounds. The way I currently draw them is very similar to the tutorial on this site. I have an offscreen gworld and just move a rect around the gworld and copybits from the rect to the screen. The problem with this is that it is very slow.

I wanted to know if anybody has a better suggestion. I have a feeling the answer may be, use OpenGl, but I was hoping for maybe something else as I planned on learning GL after this project.

If I do use OpenGL that brings up another question I have. All my sprites are done using Quartz. I know this isn't conventional, but I thought it would be something new, I get lots of goodies, and I actually get really fast frame rates (except when the screen is scrolling). So would there be an issue with overlaying Quartz graphics on top of GL stuff?
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
You can overlay Quartz on OpenGL in Jaguar. That's probably not your best option, though Smile

Chances are, rendering your sprites to a texture (still using Quartz), then rendering that texture using OpenGL would be a bit faster...
Feanor
Unregistered

I gave up Carbon programming almost as soon as they called it that, which is before I became any good, but I have read that copybits was supposed to be really fast, not slow -- this is from an old book: Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus. If I remember correctly there were ways to make it slower -- yeah, you have to ensure no scaling, and synch the bit depths between your source and target, and also something call the ctSeed has to match. Also, unaligned pixmaps are a time eater, too. Have you accounted for such things?
--FÎanor
Luminary
Yeah, CopyBits is really fast. Just nowhere near as fast as OpenGL Smile
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Yeah, CopyBits is really fast. Just nowhere near as fast as OpenGL Smile

Not on a Rage IIc! :-)

-Jon
Quote:Originally posted by aarku
Not on a Rage IIc! :-)

Ammendment: Not on a Rage IIc, on OS X! Works great on 9 Wink

Cheers,
Rocco
cloke
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions. After looking over the code again I found that my src rect and dest rect for CopyBits were not the same size. By fixing this I increase FPS by almost 30.

Also, what is an unaligned pixmap? Would a pixmap that is 640x480 be aligned and one at 400x400 not be?
Luminary
If you make your offscreen graphics store with NewGWorld, QuickDraw takes care of the alignment for you.

If you're creating it with QTNewGWorldFromPtr, you should make sure that each row is 32-byte aligned (this is what NewGWorld guarantees currently). There's some code in QTValuePak showing how to do this.