MGP Book Question: GameLevel - Method p. 122

jontolof
Unregistered

On page 121 to 122 in Mac Game Programming is an example code of parts of the ReadLevel-method of the class GameLevel. This method is calling a function named AllocateLevelMap().
After the ReadLevel method declaration is the declaration of AllocateLevelMap(), however it seems like it is a member method of the class Level. This is what it says:

void Level::AllocateLevelMap(void)
{...}

Is this an error (I mean shouldn't it say void GameLevel::AllocateLevelMap(void)) or is there another class Level? In the later case, how are GameLevel and Level related?

/Jont Olof
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by jontolof
On page 121 to 122 in Mac Game Programming is an example code of parts of the ReadLevel-method of the class GameLevel. This method is calling a function named AllocateLevelMap().
After the ReadLevel method declaration is the declaration of AllocateLevelMap(), however it seems like it is a member method of the class Level. This is what it says:

[b]void Level::AllocateLevelMap(void)
{...}

Is this an error (I mean shouldn't it say void GameLevel::AllocateLevelMap(void)) or is there another class Level? In the later case, how are GameLevel and Level related?

/Jont Olof [/b]

It's an error in the text. It should be GameLevel.

Mark Szymczyk
http://www.meandmark.com
Is there anywhere I can d/l the executable for the game that is made in the book. A good way for me to judge the quality of the book is to look at the app that the book has you make. I understand that you cant d/l the source code w/o buying the book - but surely you can d/l the executable somewhere? It could be a good ad for your book - (people would see it updated on VersionTracker MacGameFiles.com etc... and when they play it they would see in the read me that they could be writing this kind of stuff if they bought the book the game is created from)

Is the book's code compatable with both CodeWarrior and ProjectBuilder?

-Codemattic
jontolof
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by szymczyk
It's an error in the text. It should be GameLevel.

Thank's!

/Jont Olof
Quote:Originally posted by codemattic
Is there anywhere I can d/l the executable for the game that is made in the book. A good way for me to judge the quality of the book is to look at the app that the book has you make. I understand that you cant d/l the source code w/o buying the book - but surely you can d/l the executable somewhere? It could be a good ad for your book - (people would see it updated on VersionTracker MacGameFiles.com etc... and when they play it they would see in the read me that they could be writing this kind of stuff if they bought the book the game is created from)

Is the book's code compatable with both CodeWarrior and ProjectBuilder?

-Codemattic

I don't know anywhere you can download the executable files or the source code for the book. The only download I know of is some missing files for the Project Builder code in the book. There are CodeWarrior and Project Builder versions of the code in the book.

Your suggestion to release the game to the community would be good if I wrote a better game in the book. From the perspective of the game player, the game in the book is not much fun to play. I wouldn't play it for more than 5 minutes. The point of the book is to teach people how to program their own games, and the game in the book is a teaching tool.

Mark Szymczyk
Mark,

The book is great, I haven't finished it yet, but I've been learning a lot. However, I think that the book was released a bit too fast because I have seen some layout errors. For example, the page where you describe the different modes of CopyBits() the figure that shows them is all messed up. Also, there are quite some errors in the source code, most of them being spelling errors.

Don't get me wrong. I feel like you did a great job with this book and I would certanly buy more from you. But I can't help being a bit too critic sometimes.

Keep up the good work.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Quote:Originally posted by Taxxodium
Mark,

The book is great, I haven't finished it yet, but I've been learning a lot. However, I think that the book was released a bit too fast because I have seen some layout errors. For example, the page where you describe the different modes of CopyBits() the figure that shows them is all messed up. Also, there are quite some errors in the source code, most of them being spelling errors.

Don't get me wrong. I feel like you did a great job with this book and I would certanly buy more from you. But I can't help being a bit too critic sometimes.

Keep up the good work.
I share your disappointment concerning the layout errors. There are some corrected figures (including the one you mentioned) you can download from the publisher's site. I also submitted a list of corrections to the text, and it should be appearing shortly on the publisher's site as well.

Mark Szymczyk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Mechanic Question - Data storage method? jdunehew 4 7,939 Dec 30, 2011 01:36 PM
Last Post: bigtunacan