A general OpenGL Newbie question

dmbyer
Unregistered

I am developing in RealBasic, and just became intrigued with doing some 3d programing. Now, I plan on getting in some experience beforehand (probably with 2d first), but I wanted to know something about development.

How are different file formats for 3d files used when it comes to OGL? For example, I've got GMAX, a 3d editor which creates .gmax files. Does it matter to OGL? Is it OGL that does the reading of 3d files, or do I have to actually create the code to read those files? Because I'd have no clue on how to do that Wink

What I am trying to find out is, if I use OGL with RealBasic, will it matter what files I have for my 3d images? Or does OGL not even deal with that part?

Just trying to learn the extreme basics here, as I've had trouble finding answers elsewhere (and Apple's developer site is being really mean right now).

I appreciate any help that you give me!
Quote this message in a reply
henryj
Unregistered

OpenGL does not know anything about files, you have to do that yourself. Check out the idevgames faq for more info.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  General Questions About Old Or Limited Graphics Cards Oddity007 5 3,781 Mar 3, 2009 01:39 AM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Newbie question regarding Resources folder antester 2 2,488 Dec 5, 2007 09:21 PM
Last Post: antester
  General Texture Question.... WhatMeWorry 5 3,931 Aug 5, 2005 09:38 PM
Last Post: WhatMeWorry
  general question - greying out RGB textures? WhatMeWorry 2 2,707 Oct 21, 2004 02:20 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Another newbie OSX question - SDL Jesse 1 2,405 Jul 15, 2004 02:53 PM
Last Post: IBethune