Alpha Channel?

I am using GraphicsConverter 4.4 to add an alpha channel to my pictures, but after saving them and then reopening, they appear distorted and the colors very off. What am I doing wrong? Is there any other app that will add an alpha channel?
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
Photoshop... and then there is Photoshop and also Photoshop.

What format are you saving your files in? Some formats don't support and alpha channel. Also, you might be dealing with a bug. Try opening one of our game asset files with an alpha channel in G.C. Look at the alpha-channel to confirm all is well. Save it in the format you want (and try some others.) This should lead you the issue of what is going wrong.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
Photoshop... and then there is Photoshop and also Photoshop.
I have Photoshop Elements but it does not seem to have the ability to save an alpha channel.

Quote:What format are you saving your files in? Some formats don't support and alpha channel. Also, you might be dealing with a bug. Try opening one of our game asset files with an alpha channel in G.C. Look at the alpha-channel to confirm all is well. Save it in the format you want (and try some others.) This should lead you the issue of what is going wrong.
I am saving it in TIFF (which I know supports alpha channels). Sometimes it will save the image and alpha channel correctly but other times it won't, which can be very time consuming and frustrating.
Luminary
Photoshop Elements is entirely capable of saving the alpha channel. I've done it for both .psd and .png files. I didn't have to do anything special...
jamie
Unregistered

Be sure that the the button -

Save: alpha channels

is checked when saving your files or else the channel will not get saved with the file.
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Photoshop Elements is entirely capable of saving the alpha channel. I've done it for both .psd and .png files. I didn't have to do anything special...
How did you create the alpha channel?
Luminary
Just set the opacity of the brush (or whatever, gradient fill, &c) that you're using.

You may have to create a new document that starts transparent first.
Quote:Originally posted by jabber
How did you create the alpha channel?

In Photoshop (probably in Elements too) you can also create a separate Alpha channel which Photoshop will then save when you save to a compatible format. To create one in Photoshop, click on the "Channels" tab in the layers window. Then in the popup menu select "New Channel" and click "Ok". Now, put all of your alpha stuff in here.

Cheers,
Rocco
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Just set the opacity of the brush (or whatever, gradient fill, &c) that you're using.

You may have to create a new document that starts transparent first.
*Sigh* of course... thanks to everyone for the help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Photoshop Sprites With Alpha Channel Nick 22 18,147 Nov 26, 2006 06:25 PM
Last Post: jarfish
  PhotoElements 2.0 and Alpha channel Mars_999 34 13,190 Apr 1, 2003 09:41 PM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  PNG's alpha channel in dim3 ggadwa 5 4,328 Feb 17, 2003 03:05 PM
Last Post: acedia