Improving collision detection efficiency

Quote:Originally posted by codemattic
BSP / Octrees are good for testing (whether for collision or occlusion) against static geometry. But not good with moving objects against other moving objects - which is what it sounds like you are doing.

I guess you're replying to Skorche rather than me, but I'll ask the question anyway.... I am testing dozens of moving objects against other moving objects (I'll add collision detection against the scenery later), so if you're saying octrees aren't so good in this situation, what would you recommend as a better solution?

Shamefully, I still haven't actually tried applying octrees or anything to my game because I've been busy adding the ingame menus instead. I'm still interested to hear other people's opinions on this subject though!

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by NCarter
I guess you're replying to Skorche rather than me, but I'll ask the question anyway.... I am testing dozens of moving objects against other moving objects (I'll add collision detection against the scenery later), so if you're saying octrees aren't so good in this situation, what would you recommend as a better solution?

If you only have dozens of objects test each object against every other. That shouldnt strain the cpu. Of course first do a quick sphere-sphere test or axis-aligned-bounding-box test first to see if the two objects are candidates for a collision - only then do a more accurate and cpu-intensive test if you want to be more accurate.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion on improving retention in FREEMIUM game Mega Bee influx 0 2,068 Oct 23, 2012 05:47 AM
Last Post: influx
  Collision Detection Rant kodex 5 3,984 Apr 12, 2005 05:48 AM
Last Post: kodex