what is the best/easyest way to do graphics in C++?

xDexx
Unregistered

im taking a C++ class and i want to do some games! but i dont know how to do graphics. im looking for something that is NOT OOP. and for the time being i only want to do 2d graphics. i want it to run on both os 9 and 10. if anyone could help me out that would be great! thanks ahead of time!
xDexx
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by xDexx
... NOT OOP... want to do 2d graphics...run on both os 9 and 10. if anyone could help me out that would be great! thanks ahead of time!
xDexx

I suggest using OpenGL, which besides doing excellent 3D graphics can also handle 2D as well. Besides which, using GLUT you get event handling, window management, and cross platform capabilities beyond just OS 9 and OS X. Perfect for someone just starting out in C/C++. Begin by checking out NEHE's OpenGL Tutorial website:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Cheers,
Rocco
Luminary
I should point out that although OpenGL allows you to do 3D graphics, it is equally good for 2D graphics. It also offers a smooth transition to 3D should you ever decide you want to do that.
Founder
Look at SpriteWorld. spriteworld.org I think.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Griggs
Unregistered

When they finally release SpriteWorld 3 it will be a good contender. But in it's current state it's getting a bit outdated. You can certainly make some nice games with it, but the hardware acelleration that OpenGL offers is important.

Quote:im taking a C++ class and i want to do some games! but i dont know how to do graphics. im looking for something that is NOT OOP.
You are learning C++, but you don't want OOP? Maybe you're in the wrong class, C++ is all about Object Oriented Programming...
xDexx
Unregistered

oh no i do want to learn OOP. but im not taking that till next simester. i looked into sprite world... it said its not C++ ill check again. opendl seems to be complicated...maybe spriteworld is a but easyer? and i cant get NeHe's tortorials to compile after i do them. thanks for all the help!
Jeff Binder
Unregistered

IIRC Spriteworld is in C. There's also a C++ version called SpriteWorld++, but like you said, you can't do OOP. The main version does use some OOP-like ideas even though it's not C++.

OpenGL is C as well. Although it's complex, you won't need all that much of it to do 2D graphics. OTOH, it might be a bit much to learn C++ and OpenGL at the same time. It's a personal choice, I suppose.

If you choose OpenGL, get the red book, "OpenGL Programming Guide". It covers pretty much everything you need.
xDexx
Unregistered

thanks! ill get into that book!