Starter Programming Languages

Feanor
Unregistered

I voted for C/C++. I really couldn't make up my mind, so I went with what I thought offered the best overall tools for making games, given the breadth of choices of environments and packages to go with.

Really I think it doesn't matter too much as long as he has a clear set of goals for what kind of software he wants to make. I can't help but think that learning Basic is a waste of time. I don't think it's that much easier, except in ways which are harmful in the long run. Better to learn to deal with one's own memory management sooner, be very disciplined about it, and get right into learning libraries he'll be using for the rest of his career, if he chooses programming.

I think learning C and GLUT for graphics would be a good combination and get him productive very quickly. OpenGL is excellent for 2D as well as 3D. I know it can be complicated, but one can do a lot with some basic techniques. If he could find a simple front end that added easier texture management and object grouping features without having to mess with the guts, that would make my argument stronger.

--FÎanor
Quote this message in a reply
ededed
Unregistered

The malbolge code was "heLLo WorLd" was created using a genetric alogrothm and case was ingnored because that made it easier. Basically it does RSA encryption on everyletter of code so that is why it is so hard.

/Developer/Examples/Applescript
A racing game entierly made with applescript.

Sorry about leaving out so many languages but it seems like I cant add more now even though I made the poll.
Feanor
Unregistered

I want to know why the numbers don't add up. I'm seeing over 40 votes and yet a total of 30. Did some people vote multiple times?--FÎanor
Luminary
It was a check-box poll, so I voted for all the choices I thought were sensible (Java, Python, Metal/TNT from memory).
Firestarter
Unregistered

The majority of people seem to think that I should learn C++. That's a rough start. I've had my hands full even with METAL Wink.
ededed
Unregistered

I am remaining impartial and havent voted but... Learn ObjC next
Jeff Binder
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Firestarter
The majority of people seem to think that I should learn C++. That's a rough start. I've had my hands full even with METAL Wink.

Well, it says C/C++, so some of those people probably think you should learn C, not C++. Having both languages as one option may kind of skew the results. There really should be two separate choices, but it's too late now.