Jaguar Fun :)

Luminary
Posts: 5,143
Joined: 2002.04
Post: #1
If you have Jaguar, try the following:

Download the GLCubes source code from this site.

In MyCustomGLView.m, make these changes:

Add these lines to the end of -awakeFromNib:

Code:
[[self window] setOpaque:NO];
[[self window] setAlphaValue:1.0f];

Add these lines just before [font=monaco,courier][[self openGLContext] makeCurrentContext];[/font] in -initWithFrame::

Code:
long transparent = 0;
[[self openGLContext] setValues:&transparent forParameter:NSOpenGLCPSurfaceOpacity];
;

Compile, run, & enjoy. You have to resize or minimize/maximize the window to see the effect (haven't figured out what I need to do to make it work straight off).
Quote this message in a reply
ylaporte
Unregistered
 
Post: #2
Neat!

Some strange artifacts do appear with a few resizes however. They don't seem to be part of the OpenGL context since the color buffer is cleared every frame. The strangest thing is that these artifacts cast a shadow (that or the shadow is part of these artifacts).

Quartz Extreme seems like it's going to be a lot of fun!
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Posts: 5,143
Joined: 2002.04
Post: #3
Hmm...

Putting

Code:
NSRect bounds = [self bounds];
[[NSColor clearColor] set];
NSRectFill(bounds);

At the top of -drawRect: helps a little...
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Posts: 5
Joined: 2009.01
Post: #4
How useful Wink

BTW, Has anyone made any cool screensavers who's actually useful when running in background mode? Like news, weather or something like that. Wouldn't it be nice to have the daily news updating on the desktop?

.johan
Quote this message in a reply
ylaporte
Unregistered
 
Post: #5
The artifacts no longer appear if you remove the empty space around the custom OpenGL view. I mean by that to stretch the OPenGL view in interface builder so it occupies the whole window.

Seems like these weird appearances are caused by the window frame somehow being draw inside the openGL context... Strange...
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered
 
Post: #6
Quote:Originally posted by JPersson
Has anyone made any cool screensavers who's actually useful when running in background mode? Like news, weather or something like that. Wouldn't it be nice to have the daily news updating on the desktop?

I haven't seen anything yet, but it's a sure thing that people will start making that kind of stuff soon. I'm not sure if it's actually better to have information on the desktop instead of in a window, but whatever. In fact, now the desktop is technically nothing more than a fixed window with no border or toolbar that is always obscured by other windows. Seems kinda dumb to put useful info there -- chances are your icons would get in the way. Better to have fluff and eye candy in the background.

I want an animated, fully 3D scene on my desktop myself -- too bad that that would kinda kill performance of my other apps!

--FÎanor
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: 2002.04
Post: #7
Hm... Weather could be done as a simulation of the current weather conditions. Let it rain or snow on your desktop. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Moderator
Posts: 522
Joined: 2002.04
Post: #8
I'll just take this opportunity to (again) talk about my idea for a neat desktop: water that would ripple with icons, menus, windows, and the mouse. Add reflection mapping to the water surface (like a fluffy cloud map) and you have yourself a true Aqua desktop. Someone want to make it?

-Jon

btw right now I think the best eye candy for your desktop would be that opengl fish screensaver.
Quote this message in a reply
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: 2002.06
Post: #9
[Image: skyflydesk.jpg]

Top says 70% idle because I had just taken a screencap, normally it's like 90%. I'm only getting like 15fps in the GUI though. This dramatically slows down classic, long menus can take several seconds to draw.

The desktop screensaver I wanna see is something that looks like the default XP grassy hills desktop, but slowly flys over it Smile. Maybe scatter a few DogCows around on the peaks and valleys.

Something like the Pop-Pop ripples could work too.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

Bring Alistair Cooke's America to DVD!
Quote this message in a reply
zzajin
Unregistered
 
Post: #10
heh
How about a desktop that is a game.

You get bored - close the windows and play or maybe the windows are part of the game.

I remember a program that was a cat that played on the windows. Maybe a game like black-and-white where you could train your cat to do tricks...
Quote this message in a reply
Member
Posts: 196
Joined: 2002.04
Post: #11
Here's a cool 3-d OpenGL desktop: http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/macwarriors/eoh2...index.html
It's close to a water ripple in that you navigate inside a swimming pool. Very cool! Maybe this'll be what Mac OS 11 is like.

Iceman
Quote this message in a reply
furballphat
Unregistered
 
Post: #12
Quote:Originally posted by Iceman
Here's a cool 3-d OpenGL desktop: http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/macwarriors/eoh2...index.html
It's close to a water ripple in that you navigate inside a swimming pool. Very cool! Maybe this'll be what Mac OS 11 is like.

Iceman

I downloaded 3DOSX and to be perfectly honest, it's dreadful. Takes a fast, efficient method of file management (the finder) and replaces it with an uninformative, difficult to navigate and CPU burning pice of eye candy. It doesn't let you see more than about 4 files at a time and doesn't even let you see which directory you're in.
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered
 
Post: #13
Quote:Originally posted by inio
[Image: skyflydesk.jpg]

Top says 70% idle because I had just taken a screencap, normally it's like 90%. I'm only getting like 15fps in the GUI though. This dramatically slows down classic, long menus can take several seconds to draw.

The desktop screensaver I wanna see is something that looks like the default XP grassy hills desktop, but slowly flys over it Smile. Maybe scatter a few DogCows around on the peaks and valleys.

Hey, nice job -- I recognize the GLUT paper airplanes. Is that a screensaver running in background, or did you just redo the app itself to run on a window layer below the icons?
Quote this message in a reply
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: 2002.06
Post: #14
Quote:Originally posted by Feanor


Hey, nice job -- I recognize the GLUT paper airplanes. Is that a screensaver running in background, or did you just redo the app itself to run on a window layer below the icons?
It's SkyFly off the apple screensavers site.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

Bring Alistair Cooke's America to DVD!
Quote this message in a reply
Member
Posts: 196
Joined: 2002.04
Post: #15
Quote:Originally posted by furballphat


I downloaded 3DOSX and to be perfectly honest, it's dreadful. Takes a fast, efficient method of file management (the finder) and replaces it with an uninformative, difficult to navigate and CPU burning pice of eye candy. It doesn't let you see more than about 4 files at a time and doesn't even let you see which directory you're in.

Well it's more like 15 files at a time and you can rotate the camera ya knowGrin. Honestly I think it's easier to navigate since you can select any directory that's open at any time. Also you can use it as a screensaver and it's free. Finally I didn't say it was finished, but it's still kinda cool to check out anyway.

Iceman
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  openGL and Jaguar zzajin 4 3,781 Aug 29, 2002 01:29 PM
Last Post: furballphat