Crystal Space

Fillbert
Unregistered

This may mean that I shouldn't be tryign to use learn CS, but I can't figure out how to build the it from the sorce. Can anyone here tell me how to build Crystal Space for OS X.1. The documentation on the site is confusing to me on how you go about building it. Please help me... thank you...

-Fillbert
Quote this message in a reply
griffin239
Unregistered

hmmm I had the instructions but never tried. There should be a thread here on the site.

Search for Crystal Space. you will find a thread I started "Crystal Space not happening"...same problems.

You have to build it from terminal..thats all I know for sure.

Good luck. Hope it works for you.
Nimrod
Unregistered

Last time I tried following the instructions for OSX, make failed to find any targets. I'm not experienced enough to fix that, and they never bothered answering when I told them, so I gave up.
Feanor
Unregistered

I have successfully built CS a couple of times, but I just deleted the directory yesterday. I don't remember the process exactly, but I believe there were two stages. Initially you have to configure the make files for your platform (it sets up the processor and other settings). Then you run the make file for Mac/OSX.

Also, you have to install some libs that don't exist already (zlib, libpng and libjpeg I think are there names, or approx). The docs give you direct links to those files, anyway.

I have never actually tried to write software that uses CS. Mac programmer interest has been really low. It doesn't help that the sample apps don't work from the Finder. I'm not sure how easy it is to use CS from CW or PB. <opinion>CS suffers from being designed in parallel with its implementation. I find it to be an intensely complicated library. We're a long way away from a really good open source 3D game develepment toolkit. I don't think that CS is going to be the answer. Then again, maybe it will just take a few more years.</opinion>

--FÎanor
griffin239
Unregistered

this sounds like a job for Open-Sourceror!

So the mac really really needs an open source 3D game engine.

I'll have to post a thread...
If we start building an open source engine with idevgames as the focal point of contacts...I think we can jump right past CS.
Then we can raise the bar for all commercial engine makers.

I'll think hard..here at work..getting paid...
while I'm still getting paid.
Feanor
Unregistered

Well if you're a Cocoa programmer, and haven't seen all my other hints and posts referring to it, have a look at GNU 3DKit. It's the one I'm using as the basis for HailStone. It is in development right now. Unfortunately there is only one person working on it, and interest in it seems to be rather sparse right now. Furthermore it's a 3D engine only, whereas CS has sound support (and even a custom UI library). And CS is multi-platform, sort of. I think a lot of developers mix it in with platform code.

But I think it looks really good. The author works for (or did work for) SGI.

I'm hoping that by next year I'll be able to help out with its development.

--Feanor

P.S. How do you type an umlaut on Windoze? I'm at school...
Nimrod
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Feanor

P.S. How do you type an umlaut on Windoze? I'm at school...
If you're in MS Word, press Ctrl+Shift+semicolon, followed by a vowel.

If not, use the Character Map utility (probably in Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools).
Fillbert
Unregistered

thx for the help.. ummm It compilied and everythign, I think.. it just stoped going and no error in the text. but how do I run the apps?

Also I know it would be far beyond me but I think trying to make a open source 3D engine for OS X would be cool.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Crystal Space - not happening! griffin239 8 5,196 Apr 3, 2008 10:40 PM
Last Post: PowerMacX
  Help converting normals from global space to tangent space Muthaias 6 5,428 Apr 1, 2008 06:28 AM
Last Post: Muthaias
  Crystal Space anyone? Taxxodium 6 3,138 Sep 29, 2003 01:09 PM
Last Post: NCarter