What file ext for 3D models is everyone here using?

Mars_999
Unregistered

I am running into problems with coding a loader for 3D models. I have looked around the web and nehe, gamedev have examples but for either D3D, or milkshape or pascal, nothing with OpenGL and C/C++. Also I need to have a file extension that works on the Mac and PC. So .3ds is out what about .obj files? Thats why I am asking this question to see whats being used. I just came from http://www.wotsit.org and none of the links work to download the file format info. It wouldn't matter anyway due to I still need a tutorial of some help reading through binary files. Not to good at that yet. =( Anyway I don't see a tutorial on 3D model loading and animating on idevgames. I might be blind tough. =)
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
If you want an easy format to load, try Meshwork's .mesh format (text), or Quake 2's MD2 Format.

Apple has sample code for loading MD2s on their website. iDevGames has a Meshwork loading tutorial.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Yeah but its Jeff Binders I think. He wrote it in Cocoa and I dont' have a clue on that API. Let alone ObjC. I looked through the downloads and seen nothing on .mesh files? Apple most likely has tutorials on ObjC or Cocoa due to they want to push Cocoa and ObjC. Frustrating!! Oops MD2 is usable on Mac then? So what 3D rendering program saves that file format? I have a friend who is using 3DS Max and (if he makes and saves a model some year when he gets around to it) what program could I use to load the .3ds file and resave it as a .md2 file?
Jeff Binder
Unregistered

I have some C++ code for loading Meshwork models as well. I'll make it into another example an post it when I have time (hopefully tomorrow).

OBJ files are very easy to load, but thay don't have any support for bones. They may be worth a look, though.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Jeff Binder
I have some C++ code for loading Meshwork models as well. I'll make it into another example an post it when I have time (hopefully tomorrow).

OBJ files are very easy to load, but thay don't have any support for bones. They may be worth a look, though.

That would be great hopefully its easy as pie!! =) Would this tutorial involve classes or straight C? No matter I will just code the info into a class for loading objects. I wouldn't care if I had bones support due to I am not going to make a Quake style game. I need an object loader that loads ships, mechs, tanks, buildings, weapons, explosions. Now a .mesh loader would all have to be typed in a text editor? or can you buy a meshworks program that will save the model in a text format? Thanks.
Luminary
Why do you care whether any modeling programs for the Mac natively save the format? There are very few modeling programs for the Mac that anyone in their right mind would use!

You could just as well load 3ds as any other format, but I think it's more complicated than many.

I personally have written code to convert both Meshwork and MD2 models to my own formats, and both were relatively easy, so I can recommend those as a place to start.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Why do you care whether any modeling programs for the Mac natively save the format? There are very few modeling programs for the Mac that anyone in their right mind would use!

You could just as well load 3ds as any other format, but I think it's more complicated than many.

I personally have written code to convert both Meshwork and MD2 models to my own formats, and both were relatively easy, so I can recommend those as a place to start.

Because I dont' have a PC and need a modeling program that Mac has that I could use to read and maybe make a simple model someday if need be? This Mac modeling program needs to be PC compatiable so if my friend ever gets his a** in gear and makes up some models I can use to test out my code to see if it works? Hope that clears up my problems.
Jeff Binder
Unregistered

It doesn't use classes, but it uses some other C++ features.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nice models and free models, new site! 3d4ya 4 4,025 Sep 18, 2008 07:36 AM
Last Post: NYGhost