Little Demo Thingy

http://www.mnsi.net/~rkerr/source/CEGL_A...1_2002.sit

Here is a little demo I made. It is basically just a couple characters spinning around while being animated. There aren't any textures on them or anything yet. I've been working on this file format for a long time (months and months) and I think I finally have all the motion perfected. Anyways let me know if it crashes or anything. If you're using OS 9 you may have to increase the memory. The only thing you as the user can actually do is move the camera...

Keypad 4 - move left
Keypad 6 - move right
Keypad 2 - move down
Keypad 8 - move up

a - rotate left
d - rotate right
z - barrel roll left
x - barrel roll right
c - rotate down
v - rotate up

= - move forward
- - move backward

P.S. If you remove the model files from the folder the app will crash. If you remove the .mot files you will be able to see the models in their default positions. Oh and it uses GLUT for keyboard input so the input is pretty choppy. When I toss in GetKeys it will be much smoother.
Quote this message in a reply
Works fine on the iMac350 Rage128 here at work. Under OS9.1
Luminary
Seems fine here (G4733, GeForce2MX, MacOSX10.2).
Mars_999
Unregistered

Smooth animation on a "read signature"
Thanks for taking the time to test it out guys.
Runs smoothly on my Machine (G4x2 450, Radeon, OS X Server 10.2)
Doubt if it's a system you were intending it to run on... but...

Works fine on a G3 Beige MT 266/Rage IIc (6MB)/OS 9.2.2

It just gets like 4 frames/sec... that's all.

-Jon
aleph0
Unregistered

It works fine, however, the black model seems to animate incorrectly, when it animates, it looks like certain strips of triangles are disconnected from the model.

I don't know if this is supposed to happen (because of how the model looks, it's hard to see as it's flat shaded) but I thought I'd point it out:

Edit: image removed

-- A
Thanks for taking a look at it. Yeah you can't really tell since it's flat shaded but it's supposed to be like that. The thing around his chest is a little dragon skull and he has pointy triangle like things sticking out from his armour in different places.. Smile
aleph0
Unregistered

OK, I'm going to remove the picture from my server then.

BTW: I read your diary and it all looks very interesting, though it seems that you are only working on the graphic side of your system, do you have other stuff in place already? (music, sfx, scripting, networking, etc.)

-- A
I've mostly been working on the graphics because I want to make sure I don't start a whole bunch of stuff (scripting, networking, sfx) and not finish any of it. I'd rather get a decent graphics engine working first and then add scripting and sfx.

I think for sound I'll end up using some sort of 3rd party API for now until other engine features are finished. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about networking yet. I do have collision detection set up, but I need to do some more work on that before it is finished.

I am gong to start making a game with the engine now. That should give the engine some "street value". It's one thing to throw some models up on the screen, it's another to actually have them responding to input, reacting to collisions, etc. The engine is going to be a huge help, and I guess that's the whole point in having an engine Smile
http://www.mnsi.net/~rkerr/source/CEGL_A...2_2002.sit

Here is the latest. You actually get to do something this time! Smile There is a readme included. There isn't interpolation between frames or animations yet. Let me know if it works and stuff..
Luminary
Very smooth (iMac 600, Rage 128 Pro 16MB, 10.1.5).

Seems to be fill-limited (goes noticeably slower when zoomed in) -- guess that's normal for this card Smile
I have an iMac ati rage128 8mb of vram and 500mhz g3. The up and down arrows move super fast, and everything else runs fast. I also experienced the slow down while zooming in while not too noticeable. Is this due to how the textures are being displayed or loaded?

Iceman
Again, not sure if it will be an officially supported system... but I was screwing with your new version and on my g3 minitower 266/rage IIc 6 megabyte OS9.2.2 computer it works well (just obviously slowly) but then I resized the window into something smaller (which gives better framerates), and that was fine too except after a few seconds of "attacking" (pressing space) the program quit. (No error message displayed just quit.)

So I'm not sure if its anything but I thought I'd just report it. I don't know of any other testing I could try to help and track it down any furthur.

-Jon