OpenGL libraries and MPW

w_reade
Unregistered

ÖhelloÖ

I'm just starting to learn OpenGL, but having some difficulty.

I use MPW as my development environment on an 8600 with OS 9. I just downloaded the OS9 OpenGL SDK from apple, and I don't know what folders to put the various files in.

I assume that the Source, Resources, Documentation and Sample Apps folders can go anywhere, but that the contents of the Headers and Libraries folders need to go somewhere special, presumably somewhere inside the Interfaces&Libraries folder.

At the moment I have the contents of the Headers folder inside Interfaces & Libraries: Interfaces: CIncludes, and that seems to work. (it doesn't claim it can't find glut.h, etc)

However, when I compile I get long red lists of unresolved references, and I suppose this means it can't find the actual code in the libraries. Am I right?

If anyone knows, please tell me where to put the librariesÖ

(or correct my misperceptionsÖ I'm well aware of my ignorance of compilers)

Thanks in advance
Quote this message in a reply
It doesn't really matter where you put the libraries, as long as when you include them in your MakeFile you use the right path to them. But if you didn't you would be getting an error about not being able to find the library.

Are you making sure to include the OpenGL libraries in your MakeFile?
BobbyWatson
Unregistered

As an example, here's my set up for compiling OpenGL apps in MPW :

I put the OpenGLLibraryStub, OpenGLMemoryStub and OpenGLUtilityStub in MPW:Interfaces&Libraries:Libraries:SharedLibraries folder, and the header files in MPW:Interfaces&Libraries:Interfaces:CIncludes . In the make files. In a makefile generated by MPW, the Libraries part looks like this :
LibFiles-PPC = "{SharedLibraries}OpenGLLibraryStub"

I also added the other libraries I mentioned earlier. Hope this helps!

BobbyWatson
w_reade
Unregistered

thank you both for the gentle correction of misperception, and the useful advice as well. I have successfully linked the *Stub libraries, but I can't link to any of

carbon_glut.lib
glut.lib
mui.lib

the compiler tells me they are "neither XCOFF nor PEF", whatever that may mean.

I'm pretty certain I need to use at least one of them in one way or another, though, because I'm using GLUT and the *Stub libraries are just GLÖ right?

so, any suggestions?

more thanks in advance
melvinator
Unregistered

Its been a while since I've worked with OpenGL under MPW, but the GLUT & MUI libraries are built with (and for) Codewarrior and as far as I know there is no way to use them in MPW. There are two options for you though, write a generic app skeleton and bind a gl context to a window (or windows or fullscreen, etc) or grease the GLUT & MUI libraries to build under MPW. I've taken both routes and to be quite honest unless you want to have cross platform capabilities, taking the first route may be a little more work, but will probably pay off more in the end. As for building the GLUT library, as far as I can remember not all of the source files are included into the project (could someone with Codewarrior verify this?) and a little bit of work needs to be done to patch up some multi-line macros so that they work with MPW. Some code like the ccommand( &argc, argv ) (i think, its in the glutInit call) can just be commented out for the most part too.

I have some binaries of the libraries (and maybe the makefiles) for some older builds of the sdk (maybe 1.0) so I'm not sure what version of glut it is, but your welcome to them if you'd like.

don
w_reade
Unregistered

grr! lost my message. to summarize:

thanks!

I interpret melvinator's message thus:

I can't use GLUT without hassle, but I can use openGL.

If I keep my openGL code separate from my platform-specific code, it is a Good Thing.

presumably this eases porting in the absence of GLUT?

anyway, I only saw GLUT as a shortcut to getting things onscreen, I would have had to learn the rest sometime. Why not now\?

& thanks again.
melvinator
Unregistered

GLUT is a great way to get things on the screen without hassle, don't get me wrong, its just too bad that the sdk doesn't come with MPW built libraries. I've posted the makefile as well as the glut library on my idisk, in the public files folder.

http://homepage.mac.com/donmurta/

Its been quite a while since I've used it so I make no warrenty to the usefulness or correctness of the library, but I hope it does help.

don
w_reade
Unregistered

thanks for the offer but I think I'll just get to grips with GL alone. I've already cannibalised enough of a framework from other stuff I've done and examples and I think I've got it... nearly. but that's another story (see general programming)

cheers again

will

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL Headers and Libraries Jesse 2 3,526 Oct 14, 2003 10:11 PM
Last Post: kelvin