Ideas for your uDevGame entry

Founder
We have much talent in this forum, but I am sure many of you are thinking of what type of game to make in order to get those nice prizes. This thread should be used for people who have ideas or requests for games they would like to see. If you do use any idea, you might want to credit the poster (and maybe send a spiff their way.) Please stick to posting ideas and not tangents like "... I hated that game...." and so on... Remember, if you post an idea, consider whether it can be COMPLETED within 3 months, and consider whether a LONE-WOLF (majority of entries) can handle the game asset requirements! In addition, for anyone considering the ideas posted here; I advise that you take all ideas and add to them so that you don't make a DIRECT CLONE, thus getting a nasty letter from a lawyer. Also, if you have questions on a game, contact the poster directly.

Games I would like to see:

* A 3D version of Joust. In honor of Glypha (spelling?)
* Berserk because I love the synth voice sounds "Human, come back and fight like a Robot"
* Robotron but with a cute twist.
* ShufflePuck in OpenGL with lots of nice SFX, like motion trails, sun flares, sparks, etc...
* Lunar Lander in OpenGL, lots of room here for nice SFX
* Zaxxon in OpenGL (Use basic low-count polygon models)
* A nice Pinball game - yes, the Mac had some great ones. Are you a physics master?
* Gyruss, an arcade favorit of mine using OpenGL. Use a cone, apply a texture and have it rotate, place ship inside and you get a worm-hole type of effect
* "LadyBug" see Coleco games. But make the word to form "uDevGame" Make ghx cute, pre-rendered 3d
* Omega race in OpenGL using Vector style graphics
* An OpenGL basketball game of "H-O-R-S-E". Simple but fun if controls are good.
* OpenGL Snooker, or other Pool Table game.
* OpenGL game of bowling?
* A multi-player Chess game with some twists.
* A multi-player BATTLESHIP game (You sank my battleship!)
* A game based on "bumper-cars"
* A game based on water-slides. Kind of like luge!
* ANY attempt to make a soccer game (it could be PK shooting or a sim)
* Speed ice-skate game or motorbike game in OpenGL. FAST FAST FAST
* Any flight-sim
* "Rock'em Sock'em robot" boxing game, again OpenGL.. 8)
* A game based on the Activision classic "Kaboom"
* A missile command game that is two player (split window?) that allows you to ALSO send missiles to the other guy. So not just defending but attacking
* A remake of Qix... Give it something new though
* A game based on the idea from the movie "Tremors"

Ok, that is it for today.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
ZeroCool
Unregistered

A 3D version of "Daleks", maybe add somethings to it like a character select and each character has a differen't special (like Droids kinda) . (Of course you'd have to make a minimap to know if the enemies were behind you)

Small Arena type game (GLfighters come back, please). (like maybe a real simple version of smash bros kindive fighting)

Well, that's all from me.....
⌘-R in Chief
Sooooo many good games came from the 2d sidescrolling platform concept and it's a shame that not many new games are following in their footsteps. Captain Bumper is a great game. I love the graphics and the returned enthusiasm.

I can't give much for a story, but a few platform entries would be really nice to see.

MegaMan (or for you Carlos, RockMan Smile), Super Mario Bros....
I think it was maze wars, little floating round demons and you would shoot each other. Played that on a Classic when I was 12. That game rocked Smile so how about a multiplayer open gl / or cocca verison of that?
Ah, Maze Wars and a Mac Lab at lunch. Great times.

And Avara. I still love Avara. I loved making levels in Claris Works :-) I recreated my house in Avara, then ran around blowing up UFO's which came flying out of automatic sliding-door closets. I made everything large-scaled, so you were like a large toy running around the house. I even made the sink and bathtub full of water (a blue "door" that constantly went up and down to very roughly simulate water effects)... then I went and made everything destroyable and had fun blasting at my house with missiles. Oh well ;-)
griffin239
Unregistered

ok moving my post to here...where it seems to belong

Since I have a toddler in the house, anything involving gore, violence and horror is out...which is a challenge for someone like me.

OK idea blast:
Old School Retro Arcade Style:
The Tron Jai Alai Game...there's nothing on the Mac like it, and its essentially two player break out (ok pop-pop would qualify, but lacks that TRON feel). I think it would make an exciting game.
Variations on the theme could be nearly limitless: instead of rings under the player..I was thinking of a DAM behind the players..so you are trying to not only get the player to miss the catch..but also you are trying to get a good bounce hit to break down the flood wall.

Multiplayer Networkable Joust
How the big companies passed this baby up for a remake of Centipede I may never understand.

iRobot
This game was so way ahead of its time with its 3D environment, its a shame nothing has been done with it in 20 years. If you don't remember it..here is the plot Big Brother is a huge Robot Eye who watches, he spits out Pterodactyl-bots (go figure) that impede your ability to Jump around. So iRobot has to cover the terrain of the Maze before finally jumping into the next level.
Ok can't forget BB's rule #1: NO JUMPING, jumping while BB is watching = INSTANT DEATH.

Ok New school:
Redmond's Evil
Right, Resident Evil with a geek theme. I'll leave it to you.

United States Army,
Only make a spoof based on Reality...US National Guard, you get to try one of many useless weekend warrior jobs like, cook the burgers, stack the unread training manuals, hide your beer, run laps while your big fat belly jiggles like a bowl of jelly.

How about RPG ClichÈ Maker,
Mad Libs meets Dungeons and Dragons...everything is a placeholder and you get to name everything in the level prior to playing by answering things like :
a place
a number
a person you know
a famous person
an adjective
an animal
a proper noun
etc

God that sounds hilarious.

Oh how could I forget my ingenious game idea from last year.
iWork
you start out building a computer in a garage, where you have to rip off your best friend and abuse everyone you know in order to amass your own wealth and make your meteoric rise to the top of the computer industry while avoiding being totaly ripped off by the evil "other"...some levels have surprises like..the Board kicks you out of your own company and you have to start from scratch until you are called back in for an emergency to save the original company. I think this could be an instant hit.
griffin239
Unregistered

Wow Carlos..how do you sleep dreaming of all those games?

Ok I'll throw in some ideas out of my box'o'retro

ï Reactor, with its kick but "my sharona"-ish soundtrack

From the Amazing world of AMIGA

Mercenary II: Damocles:
I can barely tell you with words how cool this game was. I think I still have the poster!

there is a comet heading toward your planet, they are offering big money for you to stop the comet. You need a really big bomb, and you need to actually land on the comet and put it there.
There are about 12 planets in the star system and you travel via your space ship to each.

The 1-9 keys accelerated your space craft, zero brought it to and isntantenous stop, 9 being something short of lightspeed.

You could orbit and enter a planets atmosphere at high speed and shoot straight down toward the surface..stopping just before smashing into the ground. Then land and act all cool.

The planets have buildings to search, occasionally people to meet. You could pick up and take just about everything...hoarding it if you like, even if it was useless junk..all on your quest for the bomb parts. There were planets with zero atmosphere that you had to rush indoors from your ship before you took a fatal gasp for air.

You could fly all the way out to the farthest edge of the star system and survey the planets at least the ones that weren't behind the sun. The sun had a gravity warp that would whip you around to the other side of it when you went on a mad dash toward it.

It gets better The Comet! You could fly into its tail which had to be several hundred miles long, around it..and land on it. The comet was all black on the surface.and had a great view as it traveled through the star system. One time I just rode it all the way until impact, yeeehaa space cowboy!

There was a planet of Pyramids, some 144,000 of them!!! and a bomb part was hiding in one! Luckily they were numbered according to some x,y,z something and someone gave you a hint were the bomb part was.

This game was 3D. No textures, just ye old Amiga style polys. Was there a term for that? I bet Carlos knows.

If anyone has this game in a box in the attic please break it out and port it to the Mac!!! Also get me whatever info you have, I'd love to play detective and track down the original developers.

--- I'm playing detective..here check this out
http://www.geocities.com/wall2wallpaper/history.html

and this is even better for the eyes!!!

http://www.geocities.com/paris/7150/m2pics.htm
Heh, I was going to do something along the lines of bumper cars, but you stole my idea! lol. If my entry ends up being a bumper car type game, then you'll know I didn't just nab the idea from this forum! Wink My submarine game might be too difficult to implement in 3 months alone... maybe a simpler version?
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:Originally posted by griffin239 Multiplayer Networkable Joust
How the big companies passed this baby up for a remake of Centipede I may never understand.

Question: How would this even work? Just aim and wait? I guess that is half of jousting anyway. The other half is staying on your horse. I guess you could determine who falls off by a random number between 1 and 10. Each time you joust your level gets raised by .5 or something and if the randomly generated number is less than your level then you stay on the horse. I guess it could work Smile

Quote:Originally posted by griffin239

iWork
you start out building a computer in a garage... I think this could be an instant hit.

Okay, that's hilarious.
Founder
About iWork..., Change Work for Jobs and then you get SimJobs (get it?)

* How about someone take a crack at "Everyone's Golf" (mina no golf) Cute Golf game would be nice.
* I would like to see some Simulations, ie more on the thinking side than the quick trigger finger. Like a stock trading game. Complete with things like faulty accounting, FCC probes and so on.
* I would kill for a remake of Empire Deluxe.
* Atari Combat using Ari's sprites?
* Any game that used my Level Creator Sprites. Has anyone looked at them?
* How about a virtual pet, Alife Sim?
* Smash the mole game (they pop up and you club 'em)
* Some type of game that has you plowing snow... there's a game in there somewhere!
* Remember the old Artillery shell games? Enter the angle and V and P?
* A game based on the movie "The Cube"
* Sumo wrestling...doesn't have to be people....

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Joust. . . the game played on the big birds, right? There is a version (not networkable) that starts with a G that I can't remember Glyphus or something, though I know that's not right. I don't think Griffin meant like ... jousting on horseback medieval style...
hehe, though a medieval jousting simulation might also be fun...

Chris Burkhardt
The challenge could be in holding your aim steady while the horse is jostling you around maybe.
with uDG 04 nearly upon us, I figured this would be a good place for thread necromancy. There are still many VERY good ideas in here
sh4ggy87
Unregistered

DaFalcon Wrote:Joust. . . the game played on the big birds, right? There is a version (not networkable) that starts with a G that I can't remember Glyphus or something, though I know that's not right. I don't think Griffin meant like ... jousting on horseback medieval style...

Glypha III?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  need tips for memes, my udg entry Bjoernke 2 3,369 Aug 12, 2004 03:58 AM
Last Post: Bjoernke
  uDevGame concept: Maelstrom + Scrabble? PuppyHelmet 7 4,563 Aug 12, 2003 03:50 AM
Last Post: JAS__