Anyone have Tesselated Letters?

RigelPrime
Unregistered

I'm looking for a file containing the coordinates of the vertices of letters in any font that have been tesselated (made into little triangles). Anybody have such a thing?
Quote this message in a reply
henryj
Unregistered

I don't have the data but if you have a look at my font rendering lib at...

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/henryj/code/index.html

This could easily be adapted to output the polygon vertices. Look at the polygon font and vectoriser stuff.
RigelPrime
Unregistered

I have seen your web page. FTGL seems to be quite popular!

The only thing that has kept me from using it is that it relies on freetype, which I find a bit confusing. It is probably pretty simple, but I'm lazy, and I don't feel like learning it right now.

Maybe soon.
Luminary
You don't have to know a thing about FreeType to use FTGL. It's a non-issue.
RigelPrime
Unregistered

Please don't think I'm flaming you, but I'm starting to get frustrated getting your framework up and running.

Your readme.txt file says to link against the Freetype2 library. So after searching on sourceforge for several minutes, I came across what I think would be what I need. I guess it is the file freetype-2.1.2.tar.gz.

Then I downloaded it and looked in the Mac folder, and it contained support for CodeWarrior and MPW, not ProjectBuilder, which is what I use.

Also, when I tried to build your project, it required files that weren't there, such as FT_FREETYPE_H in the FTBitmapGlyph.h file.

I REALLY want to use FTGL, but I'm having a bit of trouble. I don't think I'm incompetent, or at least I didn't used to. Smile

I'll let you know how it goes.
Luminary
I'll step in for Henry here...

Firstly, you need FreeType 2.0.9. Later versions don't work. Dunno why (linker problems).

Secondly, there are no project builder projects for FreeType. You'll need to make it from the command line. If you're familiar with Unix, that shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise:

Log in as an administrator. Open Terminal. In the new window, type 'cd ' (without quotes), and drag the FreeType folder from the Finder to the terminal window. Push return. Type './configure', return. Type 'make', return. Wait around a while. Type 'sudo make install', enter your password when prompted. Type 'cd /usr/local/lib; sudo rm *freetype*dylib', enter your password when prompted. Don't make a mistake typing either of the sudo commands; sudo makes you "root", giving you the ability to completely screw up your system!

Now you should be able to build FTGL happily. For your own projects, you'll have to add libftgl.a to your project builder project. libftgl.a will be in your FTGL/build directory.
RigelPrime
Unregistered

Thank you very much! Smile

I will give it a try tonight.
henryj
Unregistered

Compared to most opensource projects Freetype is a breeze but it can be a bit scary for someone who isn't used to building linux libraries.

As OneSadCookie said, FTGL only works with Freetype 2.0.9 at the moment because of a bug in their build scripts and the best way to build it is the command line, just follow the instructions.

If you have any problems email me directly (address on the FTGL website) and I can send you the headers and a static library that you can link against. That will be enough to get you going.

There was a guy who was planning to release Project Builder projects for Freetype. I'll see where he's up to. If enough people are interested here I'll make one myself and make it available.
RigelPrime
Unregistered

henryj and OneSadCookie,

Thank you both very much. I followed OneSadCookie's instructions and everything compiled perfectly. I just have to read about how to use FTGL in my program, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks. I'll include both of you in my acknowledgements.

I have one small question. Does this require a special installation of libfreetype.a and libfreetype.la in the user's /usr/local/lib directory or does that just apply to me? I'm kind of new to this UNIX stuff.
Luminary
You can remove libfreetype.la as well, forgot it created that one.

.a files are static libraries; that is, their contents is linked into your application. That means that your users won't need to have anything special installed to use your program.

My reasons for removing the .dylibs is that the MacOSX linker will choose to link against them rather than the .a if they exist. dylibs are not linked into your application, so your users would have to have local copies.

Is that clear? Does it answer the question?
RigelPrime
Unregistered

Thanks. That does answer my question and it's the answer I was hoping for. I don't want to have to have some special installation of a dynamically linked library.
ededed
Unregistered

Dont you mean triangulation because isnt tessilation when you hav tiles that err... tile seamlessly:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~davemc/Pic/Escher/reptiles.jpg

but there is a NeHe/OpenGL tutorial about outline fonts and they are 3D so that might help:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorials/lesson.asp?l=14
RigelPrime
Unregistered

Hey, I didn't make up the word tessellation. It's in all of the books. Smile

I think the word actually comes from a Latin word for "tile".

I already tried the NeHe lesson 14, which would be great except that the Mac version was made with CodeWarrior in mind, and I have haven't used that ever since MacOSX came out cuz of the $$$. Project Builder is much cheaper anyway! I tried incorporating the source code into a Carbon app but I ran into some difficulty.

I'm going to keep trying on the FTGL, but I am running into some difficulty with that too. Is this pathetic or what?
ededed
Unregistered

It's not pathetic but you should look for GLCubes on the idevgames archive section for a start to a good Cocoa OpenGL thing.