Detecting a RagePro, and related poll

Does anyone have a quick snippet that determines if your OpenGL environment is being driven by a Rage Pro or Rage Pro 2 (whatever is in the earlier iMacs)? I would like to support these systems but I'm going to need to switch a few things around to look right. Answer the poll if you feel like it.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
- Gandalf the Gray-Hat

Bring Alistair Cooke's America to DVD!
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
Hello,

Here is my feeling. If you can make your game run on these machines, then spend the effort to do so. The MORE people who are able to play your game, the more people that will be able to vote for it. After the contest, you can move towards more modern machines with future builds. Remember, Apple sold MANY of those early macs and they are many of them in the hands of Mac users (like my wife), or young gamers.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Feanor
Unregistered

For an open source game I suggest that you support any system that supports OS X (if you are making an OS X game), unless lack of certain features would kill the game. -- FÎanor
Apprentice
Yeah, you should try to support as many computers as possible, though I'd probably limit it to G3's/anything that can run OS X.
Quote:Originally posted by Feanor
For an open source game I suggest that you support any system that supports OS X (if you are making an OS X game), unless lack of certain features would kill the game. -- FÎanor

I agree, but it might not be possible. I have a beige minitower g3/266 revision A which is SUPPOSED to be able to run OS X. (Mutter but that's another story) Anyways some of those early Beige g3 machines and iMacs only have Rage IIc cards in them with 2 megs or in my case 6 megs (!) of memory. The only game I ever have gotten to work with the card is Unreal (not UT the original) and it rendered slower than the software renderer. I'd draw the line at RagePro, just because then you start getting into what I call "graphics decellerators" like the Rage IIc.

Wanting a new computer,
-Jon
Founder
With his work on MacDoomLegacy, perhaps Calum could offer you some advice.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poll about free music Mooquu 9 6,948 May 25, 2011 06:46 PM
Last Post: Mooquu
  Detecting Collisions of Two Cubes Nick 11 6,501 Aug 21, 2004 05:43 PM
Last Post: kelvin
  Finding card specific OpenGL-related information MacFiend 1 2,036 Sep 20, 2003 02:59 AM
Last Post: NCarter
  Part III of SPUP (uDG poll) stevejohnson 12 5,594 Aug 4, 2003 05:10 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho