3D sound

ylaporte
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Iceman
[b] Also are there any source code examples for OpenAL?

I found a little example code with the source code for OpenAL itself on the CVS. I haven't looked in it much, as I said, the test application that is included records a large number of failures on my OSX machine.

Actually, here's what I get:
Request Object Names Test. PASSED.
Releasing Object Names Test. PASSED.
Validating Object Names Test. PASSED.
State Transition Test. FAILED.
Vector State Transition Test. FAILED -- AL_PLAYING 0FAILED -- AL_PLAYING 1FAILED -- AL_PLAYING 0AFAILED -- AL_PLAYING 1AFAILED.
Get Buffer Properties Test. FAILED.
Enumeration Value Test. PASSED.
Queuing Underrun States Test. FAILED.

Anyone has a clue about what is going on?
When I run the manual tests I never hear any sound out of the speakers.

It sure is not a lot, I'd be interested if anyone knows where we can find more sample code.
Quote this message in a reply
I wouldn't worry about the tests.

Just look at the sample code provided in the SDK. It's really not that complex.

Start simple. Add a single source to your game. Get that acting the way you want it, then start adding more sources.
Just thought I'd mention SoundTerrain. I have been using it for projects and I really like it. Wish he'd update the version though. (The new features he was planning sound nice... like making it compatible with OpenAL)

From the link page on idevgames....

Quote:SoundTerrain provides a easy, free and flexible way to play sound effects in your game. It gives you independent control over sound effect volume and pitch. It does 3D sounds and if you like, it will also do Doppler effects. The sound processing is completely asynchronous. It is Carbon compatible and AltiVec accelerated on G4. SoundTerrain does not require any extra extensions to work, nor does it require any knowledge of the Sound Manager. It manages the OS and Sound Channels for you, providing a simple, easy to use interface for managing your sound effects.

http://alienorb.com/SoundTerrain/

-Jon
Luminary
I think the reason SoundTerrain is no longer updated is due to difficulties porting it to MacOSX. MacOSX deals with sound interrupts quite differently to MacOS9 (they're just a preemptive thread), and I think there are race conditions, &c in that environment.

Perhaps if Ian Ollman is still reading these forums he can explain better Smile
Luminary
And alienorb.com seems to be AWOL...

nslookup alienorb.com
Server: rachel.paradise.net.nz
Address: 203.96.152.4

*** rachel.paradise.net.nz can't find alienorb.com: Non-existent host/domain
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
I think the reason SoundTerrain is no longer updated is due to difficulties porting it to MacOSX. MacOSX deals with sound interrupts quite differently to MacOS9 (they're just a preemptive thread), and I think there are race conditions, &c in that environment.

Hmm so does it work under MacOSX now or no? I'm wondering because carbonizing my game is top priority after it's complete. And it'd stink if I had to redo all of the sound code for literally the fifth time.... argh...

-Jon
Nibbie
hmm, what ever happened to game sprockets? i think you can use the sound one for 3d sound, but then you have to learn a little bit of carbon. I think i will go that way if i can work it.
Quote:Originally posted by hyperzoanoid
hmm, what ever happened to game sprockets? i think you can use the sound one for 3d sound, but then you have to learn a little bit of carbon. I think i will go that way if i can work it.

SoundSprocket is no longer available under OS X, and under 9 you'd probably be better served by SoundTerrain. It seems like the only options right now under X are CoreAudio and OpenAL, and CoreAudio is woefully undocumented (though Apple's acquisition of Emagic seems to indicate that they're going to start getting serious about audio under OS X).