3D sound

ylaporte
Unregistered

What is the best option to have 3D sound effects under Mac OSX. Do Sound Sprockets still exist? Are there 3rd party sound libraries helping? Or do I have to do everything myself (please tell me I don't have to)?
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Nimrod
Unregistered

What's the point of 3D sound, when the only card that supports it on the mac is the SoundBlaster Live, which doesn't have OS X drivers and allegedly poor OS 9 support?

Am I missing something?
Is there an OpenAL.framework? It all looks like it's for OS 9.

Iceman
Yes the file at:

ftp://opensource.creative.com/pub/sdk/Op...taller.bin

Will install a package that will install a framework for use on MacOS X.

It works fine and I've had several programs running using it. Unfortunately thought the mac version is slightly incomplete, I really wanted to use it for its reverb capabilities.

BTW has anyone a working example, with source, of the supposed in-built reverb capability of MacOS X.

Will
ylaporte
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Nimrod
What's the point of 3D sound, when the only card that supports it on the mac is the SoundBlaster Live, which doesn't have OS X drivers and allegedly poor OS 9 support?

Am I missing something?

When I say 3D sound, I mean sound spatialization. In other words, the capacity to make a sound "sound like" it is coming from somewhere in 3D in a particular environment. It can also include other things like the dopler effect, reverbs etc. As you can imagine, it is quite usefull when designing emersive 3D games. Even 2D games can benefit from it.

It doesn't have to be in hardware, in fact, some very advanced experimental sound spatializers are software only (and sometimes not even real-time).
ylaporte
Unregistered

As usual thanks everyone...

I am going to look into OpenAL and the Sound Sprocket implementation pointed by OneSadCookie.

Since I don't have a sound blaster I don't see myself experimenting with it much yet.
On OS X, CoreAudio has native support for 6-channel surround sound, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be any good sample code on how to use it. I did a quick search of the coreaudio-api mailing list archives and discovered that there was a demonstration of CoreAudio surround sound at WWDC, so hopefully some code from that presentation will be made available.
Founder
Logic of Germany, of eLogic Sequencer fame makes a USB device that supports surround sound. Also, Edirol, aka Roland also does.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
ylaporte
Unregistered

I installed OpenAL and it's SDK since the idea of OpenAL (an portable Sound Spatialization API) is attractive to me. Then I downloaded the reference implementation and ran the test applications that come with it.

Most of the tests fail on my computer. Does the mentionned OpenAL implementation requires you to have some specific hardware?

I am looking more for a software solution since it could be used on any machine.

As of Core Audio, I toyed with it a few months ago and it doesn't seem to offer all the features desirable for game developement. It supports a large number of channels per device but the device itself has to make those channels available. As far as I understand, you still have to feed these channels yourself. And compute special effects yourself as well.
Nibbie
Quote:Originally posted by Mazilurik
On OS X, CoreAudio has native support for 6-channel surround sound, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be any good sample code on how to use it. I did a quick search of the coreaudio-api mailing list archives and discovered that there was a demonstration of CoreAudio surround sound at WWDC, so hopefully some code from that presentation will be made available.

yeah ive been looking for a core audio example and i have found a few, but i dont know where to start, like what is an oscillator and reverb. id like to go core audio too.
Folks, OpenAL does NOT require special hardware.

I use both the Classic library and the OS X framework and get excellent results.

Wade
Feanor
Unregistered

Wade, are the libraries currently only available as source code from the CVS, or does somebody have binaries posted? OpenAL might be a good choice for HailStone (my 3D game), since I'd like it to be portable to Linux. -- FÎanor
The framework and library are in the same installer here's the link that was posted above: ftp://opensource.creative.com/pub/sdk/Op...taller.bin . Also are there any source code examples for OpenAL?

Thanks,
Iceman
Luminary
There's some examples on OpenAL.org which worked OK on MacOSX last time I checked.