Quartz Composer

Just have a noob question about Quartz Composer.

I'm interested in using it to test glsl code. Looks interesting. Basically, create a GLSL shader patch. Paste in your vertex and fragment shaders. Then its going to create inputs. Then create an image import patch and attach. Make a clear patch to clear the background. Endless...

But the thing I cannot figure out from the examples, is where is the geometry coming from? I don't seem to be able to set it in the viewer. Its not in the glsl or clear shader patch. Don't see it in the menus. I see there are patches to create a geometry but none of the examples in the developer tools seem to use that.

BTW, if Collada is going to be a default file format in Snow Leopard can I use that for an import?

Sort of would like the change the geometry depending on what shader I'm going to mess with...
Quote this message in a reply
Double-click the GLSL patch to see inside it. If a patch has square corners it contains other patches.

On 10.6 you can import your own mesh instead of using the defaults using the Mesh Importer patch. It uses .dae files, which are Collada I think. There might be a plug-in to do it on 10.5, I'm not sure.

One thing that caught me out when using QC to test GLSL was colour correction. You should probably disable it, for things like normal maps, in the Image patch settings.
Ahh, double clicking reveals a track ball patch. Then double clicking on that shows the teapot mesh. Interesting.

Couple more questions. Is the buffer used in quartz a floating point buffer? Or could it be configured to be floating point?

I'd like to mess around with something like bump mapping. So, I'd need tangent binormal normal information along with the mesh. I see there are math patches? ( the math patches seemed simple ) Is there anyway to get this information into the glsl patch? Maybe the dae file can bring it in.

I'd like to ping pong within quartz composer. That is, run it through a few glsl patches. I suppose with a floating point buffer. Can I nest that together? ( sort of like double clicking to reveal the teapot ? )

QC seems much more flexible than the Shader Editor program. Can add iterators , key input and all sorts of stuff. Just scratching the surface. Smile
No idea; I'm afraid that's about the limit of my QC experiments. Seems like the GLSL shader patch only renders to a layer, not an image, but maybe there's a way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Immediate graphics in Quartz? Sparklight 3 3,801 Dec 14, 2010 03:12 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  converting quartz to openGL ES aerospaceman 2 3,836 Apr 12, 2010 10:57 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  OpenGL vs Quartz Performance for 2D Game lfalin 1 3,723 Apr 25, 2007 09:51 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Quartz Composer Skorche 8 5,662 Jun 23, 2005 08:17 PM
Last Post: Jesse Abram
  Quartz extreme fun Sohta 3 3,485 Dec 2, 2003 06:06 AM