GBA Development on the Mac

Has anyone ever tried to develop for the Gameboy Advance on Mac OS X? Last year I tried compiling GCC and failed miserably, but now that I'm wiser in the way of the Makefile I've decided to try my hand again (plus I found GCC already in arm-thumb mode for OSX at lundman.net).

Unfortunately, I haven't had much success. While I've managed to properly compile the code (I think), the most I've been able to do is change the screen mode. Worse, something in the process is extremely twitchy and the code breaks for no good reason.

If anyone could share their experiences I'd be most appreciative. I can't be the only Mac programmer who's thought of dabbling in console development.
Quote this message in a reply
I'm currently coding a commercial GBA game using my iBook/Cube tied to a PC running the Nintendo Devkit. Basically all the work gets done on my Macs, then I hit build on the devkit.
As mentioned in a previous thread, Lik-Sang will soon have their USB based flash cart writers, which they claim will have Mac and Linux drivers at some point. While it won't give me the debug capabilities of the devkit, it will still be handy for a bit of mobile coding on the iBook Smile
Quote:I'm currently coding a commercial GBA game using my iBook/Cube tied to a PC running the Nintendo Devkit. Basically all the work gets done on my Macs, then I hit build on the devkit.

Looks like this is the way I'll need to go as well. Despite my best efforts I haven't been able to get arm-thumb GCC to compile the code properly. So, last night I installed the Windows version of DevKitAdvance in VirtualPC and had code properly compiling in less than an hour. I was hoping for a Mac-only solution, but looks like I'll have to settle with BBEdit, Virtual PC, and Boycott Advance.

Maybe I'll win the lottery and will then be able to afford the official dev kits. ^_^
Hot damn, I think I have it working. While reading the GBA Dev FAQ I came across this question. I figured that the crt0.o file that GCC was using probably wasn't the right one, so I linked in the crt0.S and lnkscript files from that site. I then fixed a few quick bugs that popped up (changing "int main(void)" to "void AgbMain(void)", etc), ran the Makefile, booted up Boycott Advance and the .bin worked perfectly.

Hopefully now I can abandon VirtualPC.
Nibbie
there is a GBA SDK at http://www.macgamefiles.com