Sio2Engine

Bork 3D

Cocos 2D iPhone

iTGB

iTGE

Shiva Ston3d

Oolong engine

Airplay

Feel free to add links to ones not listed and I will add above. If someone wants to write a quick snippet of each for Pro and Con, I will also add that to this post.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Cocos2D
Main Page
Bug list / Feature list
Repository
Summary: Cocos2D is a framework that takes out most of the complications and lower level routines needed to write successful 2D games. It is not a substitute for programming as you will still require a very fundamental knowledge of Objective-C if you wish to progress further with it. It also supports tons of freeware/shareware projects to help assist you in rapid development such as: Cocos2D itself is completely free to use with a very liberal MIT license.
Apprentice
Galaxy Engine

What is Galaxy Engine?

Galaxy Engine is a complete game development package for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. It is programmed in Cocoa and uses the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, and OpenAL libraries to give you a powerful core with direct access to iPhone SDK features such as Game Center. Galaxy Engine is designed with indie developers in mind. Which means that it is designed to be as efficient and flexible as possible. It also is one of the only Open Source game engines to include critical tools for game development such as: Level Editor, Terrain Editor, Model Viewer, Particle Editor, and Shader IDE. It also includes features such as: vertex animation, advanced lighting, dynamic shadows, vertex and pixel shaders, normal mapping, parallax mapping, and massive outdoor environments.
Nibbie
To begin with these are the ones that I know of (in alphabetical order):

Cocoas2D – 2D Game Engine, Open Source, LGPL
iTGB for 2D Games – 2D Game Engine, Commercial, Min. cost $500
OOlong Engine – 3D Game Engine, Open Source, MIT License
SIO2Engine – 3D Game Engine, Open Source, Payment or flash screen on game required
Ston3D for Iphone – 3D Game Engine, Commercial, Min. cost approx. $250 (based on current conversion rates)
Unity3D Engine – 3D Game Engine, Commercial, Min. cost $199 + $399 If you have any exprience using any of the above engines in development please post any opinions you have. If you know of any other 3D or 2D Headache Behind Eyes
Nibbie
iPTK - Simple game library for iPhone and iPad.

The iPTK Engine is written in C++. It will help you to create new games and port existing games to the iPhone, the iPod touch and the iPad. Here is its feature list:
  • Easily loads PNG, BMP, TGA, 24Bits, 32Bits, with or without alpha transparency
  • Easily loads Sound effects
  • Easily loads Music playing in background
  • OpenGL ES for fast graphics
  • OpenAL for fast audios
  • Splines and Nurbs
  • MultiTouch inputs support
  • Accelerometer support
  • EyeRetina supported
  • iPhone OS3, OS4 and iPad supported
  • Easily call HTTP requests

Oh by the way it's released under MIT license Rasp

Enjoy!
http://code.google.com/p/iptk/
Apprentice
Corona SDK - Now available for Windows and Mac, free unlimited trial, only pay when you're ready to submit to the App Store or Android store (yes, it's cross-platform). http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/

Someone also mentioned iTGB from GarageGames as being $500 -- that's the old price. GG was sold and the new owners are charging $99 each for Torque 3D, Torque Game Builder, and iTorque Game Builder.

Jay

http://GameDevNation.com - Corona SDK Tips and Tutorials
The names of the Torque engines changed many months ago - they're now T2D and iT2D.
Apprentice
Quote:The names of the Torque engines changed many months ago - they're now T2D and iT2D.
They still refer to it as Torque Game Builder in the copy on their sales page. Plus when you install it ends up in a folder called Torque Game Builder.

So they may have changed the name, but they're not doing a great job at changing the name. Wink

In any event, the Torque engines are very reasonably priced, powerful enough for just about anything, and they have a pretty active community of developers.

I've moved to doing mobile apps right now but if I decide to do desktop games again I'll be digging out Torque for that.

Jay

http://GameDevNation.com - Corona SDK Tips and Tutorials
I know, I keep urging Mich to fix their pages, plus ditch the year on the primary engines Smile

I'm working on a desktop platformer in T2D and enjoying the power of the behaviours. Extend the game AND the editor in one little class? Oh yeah! The artist/musician loves it.

The latest preview of iT2D isn't too shabby either. It finally builds out of the box for newbies!
⌘-R in Chief
I'm still waiting for the "real" T2D update...
I have also heard of the Sparrow framework. I dont use it but from what I've seen it looks like a very lightweight and powerful framework and has a lot of potential.

A 14 year old app developer...god help me...
Nibbie
Thanks for this list! I'll start poking around at these engines.
As a note, iTGE is no longer in development, and was never publicly released. iTGB is, however, and recently got an update to iTGB 1.4.1, which includes out-of-box XCode 4/iOS 4.3 compatibility.

Goodbye.
Apprentice
We can't forget UDK for mobile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iPhone MOD players / sound engines? Jamie W 2 4,926 Aug 22, 2009 02:19 AM
Last Post: Jamie W