Chairs, ergonomics

I have nice carpeting/padding in my office, but yeah, we have mats in the shop on concrete. They definitely buy more time standing.

What happened to me before was that my knees and hips would wear out after a few hours, well before my feet got sore. The joints start adjusting after a couple of weeks though, so I could stand longer, the more I stayed with it.
Quote this message in a reply
Heh, I know what you mean. I used to work as a cashier at Circuit City; There was nowhere to sit down, which made the ten-hour shifts brutal for the first month or two, but eventually it got to the point where I didn't notice it too much.

I guess practice makes perfect, even when it's just practicing standing Smile

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
I might be a rarity, but I sit on a yoga ball. Have done this for at least half a year by now. I am fairly active in my personal life, and haven't had much back trouble - however, I echo the comments that it is important to invest in something you want to sit on, since programmers should be concentrating on getting things done, not readjusting in their chair.

So that's one thing I've been struggling with... should I go back to a normal chair because the ball is fairly novelty? I think it has perhaps slightly strengthened my core muscles and back muscles, but my exercise has helped with that, too.

The ergonomics person at my corporate day job said yoga balls are for using with yoga, and not for sitting. I know some people swear by them... At my day job I have a good, fairly standard, adjustable office chair.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
I tried the yoga ball for sitting on before. It just took up a bit too much space and kept needing pumped up again.

I've known others who use them. The fact it is your body and not your ergonomics person's body means you should be allowed to use a ball at day job if you want.
I'm guessing the yoga ball is training your back posture really well, so by using it at home you're sitting up in your work chair properly and that's helping your back. I'd stick with the yoga ball at home at least and ignore the ergonomics guy at the day job, he sounds like he's only paid to tell everyone to use the chairs supplied and fit in.
⌘-R in Chief
(Sep 7, 2010 07:30 AM)BeyondCloister Wrote:  In order to counter the back pain issues from long periods at the keyboard I now use an inversion table for 5 minutes a day.

I've thought about one of those. Does it really help long term (ie, you don't have pain now), or does it only help for a short period of time?
Founder
I envy you guys with lower back problems... lol... My issue is at the other end... my neck. I have a pinch nerve at C4 or so... and starting to get arthritis in there. Heck, I'm a young 41! It must be a combination of heading the soccer ball, flat feet and slouching all these years. I try to set my posture and stretch, etc. Yet by 3pm each day my neck pain is screaming bloody murder. Its getting worse and worse. I have one of those fancy leather chairs yet can't seem to get rid of the pain. I've gone through a 1/2 dozen pillows and two injections in the neck. Back when I lived in Japan, it cost $5 to get acupuncture... It's over $100 here. Cry
Any suggestions for neck pain from sitting?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
(Sep 9, 2010 12:37 PM)FreakSoftware Wrote:  
(Sep 7, 2010 07:30 AM)BeyondCloister Wrote:  In order to counter the back pain issues from long periods at the keyboard I now use an inversion table for 5 minutes a day.

I've thought about one of those. Does it really help long term (ie, you don't have pain now), or does it only help for a short period of time?

I've only been using it about 4 weeks so cannot personally comment on long term but the promotional material indicates so.

I would say though, that through mixture of improved posture and uncompressed spine from using it, I am now 5cm taller since I started using it!
⌘-R in Chief
Well, what I really meant was, does 5 minutes a day keep the back pain away all day, or does it creep up on you regularly? For example, if mine starts hurting, getting up and stretching for a few minutes and walking around (doing the dishes or something) helps, but only for an hour or so. Does hanging upside down limber it up for much longer than whatever other remedies you tried? They look positively medieval, but the idea seems exactly what I need.

And I sure wouldn't mind being 5 cm taller! Smile
My back has not been that bad but my wife suffers worse back pain and she is the one who bought it. She notices a really big difference so I would say that the daily 5 minutes does last all day.