Silverfish - Retro inspired game for iPhone & iPod touch

Hey folks,

I haven't been around much lately, mostly due to having my head buried in new hardware and my next game: Silverfish.

A video is worth a kajillion words:

Hey - the new forum has video tags! Cool Admins: Might wanna change those to use 16:9 format Wink
Quote this message in a reply
Wow, that looks totally rad Frank, best of luck with it! Grin
Looks awesome Frank, here's hoping this one goes gang busters for you!
Love that you've included fl00id in a game now.

I'm not 100% on how the game play works from watching the video, can you elaborate a bit on how you play?
Thanks guys!

flOOid actually started out as a testbed to help optimize the fluid simulation for Silverfish. For one reason or another I kept putting Silverfish on hold, so I cleaned up and released flOOid to try and at least recoup something out of all that r&d.

Silverfish gameplay is directly influenced by A7Xpg, Pac-Man, and Geometry Wars. The player moves up/down/left/right (swipe to change direction) and has to avoid the space bugs while collecting shiny stuff. The big orbs explode and kill bugs in a radius, and the little green crumbs left over add to your score multiplier - just like the geoms in Geometry Wars. A two finger tap activates a powerup depending on the mode - e.g. bomb everything on screen.

There will be 3 modes in the first release. The video shows the standard arcade mode where you get 4 lives and die as soon as you hit a bug. Then there's an A7Xpg/Pac-Man mode where you have a POW bar that's recharged by those big orbs, and depletes over time and when you hit bugs. If manage to overcharge your POW you turn the tables and can eat up the bugs for a few seconds. The 3rd mode also has a POW bar but it's recharged by the small green crumbs, and doesn't overcharge, so it's more of a survival mode.

I'll be adding a timed mode after the initial release, and more modes after that if it's selling reasonably well, but I've got too much work to do for v1.0 to be thinking about that right now!

EDIT: An extra thanks to monteboyd for bumping the TouchArcade thread Wink
Silverfish is now in Apple's hands - here's the new v1.0 trailer:

Cheers!
Looks and sounds completely bad-a$$ Frank, best of luck!

It's getting *really* tough out there now with 262k apps. We were recently featured on Apple's Halloween list and even got blurbed in the Wall Street Journal and still came up with surprisingly low sales.
I hear ya, I've been selling squat for months - and not very much before that! This game is too hardcore-arcade to ever gain top 100 mass appeal but I'm hoping it'll find a comfy spot in the arcade lists for a while.
I'm really enjoying the retro vibe going on here. My favorite is watching him spin around quickly, very nice looking!

Good luck with the game.

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Launched Ambitious Game Kickstarter (Retro VS HD) samqthegame 0 696 Mar 24, 2014 11:26 PM
Last Post: samqthegame
  Phasing Flee (retro platformer) dabrorius 3 3,243 Jul 9, 2012 07:57 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Upcoming iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Game FiveAmStudio 3 5,874 Sep 5, 2010 08:11 PM
Last Post: FiveAmStudio