iphone game development on Windows?

Apprentice
Hello all!
I'm 3d year student in Dublin Institute of Technology (Computer Science)
In this year I will have to do project and decide to develop small and simple 2d game for iphone, to be more exact something like Lode Runner (old console game)
[Image: loder.gif]

I have good programing skill in C, a bit of C++ and we start java this year
also basic of 3DS Max and Maya (but i think i dont need it for 2D game)

So my question is: do i realy need to buy Mac? cause im pure Win. user and dont have nay mac or mac experience at all
is there any way to avoid spending 1k euro on buying new mac machine and do my developing under windows?
if ill succeed on Win platform will there be a chance to publish this game in appStore?
thnx very much in advance for answer
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
The iPhone developer tools only run on Mac OS X.

You don't need to spend €1k to get a mac though:
http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/sh...TQzMDMxODY
http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC516B...Tg0NzA2MTU
Apprentice
well the links you provide with prices 799 or 850 are not far from 1k...
Luminary
Those are new, or close enough. I'm sure Ireland has an eBay equivalent too. Any Intel Mac is sufficient. There are 4-year-old iMacs and Mac Minis that I'm sure people want to get rid of cheap by now.
Plus, if you have an iDevice that you want to put your program(s) on, or you want to publish to the App Store, you'll have to pay Apple $100 per year for the developer account to do so.
Apprentice
Yeah, you'll need to get Mac to be able to develop. But, for development you can actually make a portable engine. You need only very small amount of code to port it on iPhone. This is what I do, because coding and testing is much faster for me on Windows, instead of Mac + Simulator or actual device. You need it only to test controls and make final build. :-)
hi, i'm new to iphone developing. coding in windows and then porting to iphone...
how can be done?games run on iphone without modification on the iphone?
The only modification you do to your iPhone is to mark it as a "use for development" device in Xcode and install a provisioning profile for your app. This has no effect on the normal operation of the phone. Once that's done, you build your app for armv6/armv7 architectures, code sign it, and deploy it to the phone via Xcode.
I maybe the odd guy on the forum, but I do all my development under Windows and have my Mac laptop mounted to a windows drive/folder (Finder->Go->Connect To Server etc). This allows me to use the tools I'm most familar with (Visual Studo, etc) and every so often to do a mac/iPhone/iPad compile. Obviously, I have two different projects, one for VS and the other for XCode, but I don't really find it hard to maintain both. In my game, Groundhog Assault 3D (Apple App Store), I have graphics interface layer that allows me to switch between desktop GL and GLes at compile time. For GLes on my Windows box, I use the PowerVR simulator, which I would recommend. On top of that I have an abstracted input and windowing system that allows for me to create graphics contexts for a number of different system (WGL, EGL, iPhone, etc). This also helps developing for multiple platforms. So to anwser the question, it is doable, it is a lot of work, I've learned alot, wrote a ton of platform code. Maybe I would add and recommend you start with known library for cross platform game development. I haven't used any, so I'm not going to recommend any, but they are out there.
Good Luck.

Thomas.
http://www.rattansoftware.com
Groundhog Assault 3D (Apple App Store)
+1 for ropeburn. He's perfectly described our working processes and I can totally recommend this way of working.

Paul Johnson
Great Little War Game
⌘-R in Chief
Sounds tedious to me. Smile

Congrats on getting up and running and working on your first iPhone game.
I understand their preference to code within the OS they are most familiar with. While I can do my coding in both Linux and Windows, I much prefer to code in OS X since that's where I'm most familiar with all the tools. There are myriad tiny differences between the OSes which add up to a hassle at times. Most notably, it drives me nuts switching between control and command for keyboard shortcuts. In Windows and Linux I find myself frequently challenged to find solutions to simple user tasks which other "native" users of those systems seem to universally know. It's not really a major problem, but when you have to interrupt your workflow several times a day chasing down simple usage issues, it gets a little irritating. I'd have to use Windows as a primary OS for a month or two to really get past a lot of that stuff, and I just don't see why I should have to do that when I can easily develop on the Mac and simply run GNU make on the other platforms, spending a minimal amount of time in those environments to get the job done.

To be clear, I am really impressed with the latest Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 and can easily imagine using either as a primary OS, but I can't easily change the fact that I am still most familiar with OS X, so I sympathize with where Ropeburn and Applewood are coming from.
Absolutely. If we were fundamentally mac-heads and not win-heads then I'm sure we'd do the same thing in the other direction. Jumping between different keyboards is a pita even before you get as far as the o/s. Especially the shitty one that you get with an imac. Way too much form over function there! Smile

Paul Johnson
Great Little War Game
I actually quite like the newer Apple keyboards. They have a nice short keystroke and they're nice and thin.

Apple has a great history of truly terrible input devices though. Need I remind us of the urinal-puck mouse of iMac G3 fame?

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Off topic: Hey hey hey hey, I loved the puck mouse Rasp. Of course, it almost screamed for the puck-adapter that made it shaped like a regular mouse, but oh well. Seems like apple keeps creating devices that require 3rd party adapters (recessed headjack in iPhone 1.0 anyone?).

Back on topic: Edit: Redacted
Alex

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Switching developers mid-game development fauxdev 4 1,385 Feb 17, 2014 05:46 PM
Last Post: funkboy
  How to get started in game development! Taxxodium 18 47,360 Jun 5, 2012 03:55 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  [Book] Cocos2d for iPhone 1 Game Development Cookbook NathanBurba 1 5,486 Jan 8, 2012 05:40 PM
Last Post: mmztech
  Feedback on my new iPhone Development Service, is it relevant for games? sashthebash 3 5,656 Nov 2, 2010 01:17 AM
Last Post: cmiller
  Learning Cocoa game development Miglu 17 16,825 Aug 8, 2010 02:25 PM
Last Post: Miglu