If i use SDL...

Apprentice
Will the players of my game have to install the SDL frameworks too?
If so, how am I going to do that when I'm distributing through Steam?
Quote this message in a reply
You can package any frameworks your game requires in the app bundle so the users don't need to install anything.
Apprentice
So they're automatically added to the compiled code? Nice!

Is this the same for the Windows version (I'm intending to port before release)?
Well, they're not automatically added per se. You have to create a copy files build phase, and binding for really old OS versions (if you're targeting that far back), which I can't recall exactly at the moment. It's not hard to do at all though. Search the forums for adding frameworks to the bundle.

I have no idea about the Windows version. I should probably learn though, since I am looking at developing cross-platform too.
Apprentice
Okay, thanks man.
I will only distribute through steam so it would be pointless to support lower than 10.5
I think you can use SDL as a .a or a .dll, if you want to, so you could probably either statically link it or just use the dll, on Windows Smile

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
(Sep 25, 2010 05:05 PM)wyrmmage Wrote:  I think you can use SDL as a .a or a .dll, if you want to, so you could probably either statically link it or just use the dll, on Windows Smile

I'm pretty sure that - if you're not willing to release the source to your game or not willing to pay for a commercial license - you're required to dynamically link to SDL.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Ah, right, that's a very good point. I completely forgot about their licensing.

Apprentice
Well, then my only option is to include the source.
Shame it has to come to that because of some stupid hippy license.
(Sep 26, 2010 03:19 AM)Wolfos Wrote:  Well, then my only option is to include the source.
Shame it has to come to that because of some stupid hippy license.

Re-read what I wrote; you don't need to include the source if i) you dynamically link SDL, or ii) you pay for a commercial license (eg. if developing for iOS, which doesn't let you dynamically link SDL, or any other library.)

Mark Bishop
--
Apprentice
But dynamically linking SDL would require everyone to install it, correct?
Also, there is no commercial license for the current stable version of SDL and I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

Nah, I'm okay with going open source but I still want to sell it, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do that (without pirates downloading from my server instead of from torrents).
(Sep 26, 2010 04:33 AM)Wolfos Wrote:  But dynamically linking SDL would require everyone to install it, correct?

Nope, re-read what AnotherJake wrote Wink There's nothing to stop you dynamically linking to a library which is inside your game's .app bundle (on Mac OS X, anyway.)

Mark Bishop
--
(Sep 26, 2010 03:19 AM)Wolfos Wrote:  Shame it has to come to that because of some stupid hippy license.

You should choose your words more wisely; angering people is a pretty sure way to not receive help in the future.

As sealfin and AnotherJake said, you don't have to install dynamically linked libraries in order to use them; this is also true on Windows Smile