Translating your game into different languages and uploading them

Apprentice
Hey all,

I have a game that I submitted to Apple last week. It is still in the review process. In the mean time, I am currently working on translating the game into 5 other languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian and Japanese). I have a question regarding the uploads of these versions How does Apple handle this? I don't plan on having a language option within the game. There is not much text in it and it is just easier for me if I just make 6 different builds (one for each language). So would this just be uploaded 6 different times and appear on 6 different app stores or would it just be an update and there would be links provided as to which version you would want to download?

If anyone can give me some insight it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact details (haven't built a localized iPhone app just yet), but I'm fairly certain you'll want to build a single application binary with .strings translation files for each one of the languages you support. The OS chooses the most appropriate one based on the user's selected system localization.
Nibbie
EndeavorBros Wrote:Hey all,

I have a game that I submitted to Apple last week. It is still in the review process. In the mean time, I am currently working on translating the game into 5 other languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian and Japanese). I have a question regarding the uploads of these versions How does Apple handle this? I don't plan on having a language option within the game. There is not much text in it and it is just easier for me if I just make 6 different builds (one for each language). So would this just be uploaded 6 different times and appear on 6 different app stores or would it just be an update and there would be links provided as to which version you would want to download?

If anyone can give me some insight it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

You create a Localizable.strings file in Xcode, you use the right click button on it and the Get info to display the general tab. Then you can use the Add Localization button to add the different languages you want to support.

To use those strings in your program, use the NSLocalizedString() function.

Read up on it in the manual, it will explain much better then me how to use it.

It will also explain how to populate the Localizable.strings text file.
If you're using a software-based translator a handy trick is to translate it to the chosen language, then back again. This will show any errors that a foreign person might find.

~ Bring a Pen ~
mikey Wrote:If you're using a software-based translator

Don't. There are entire sites dedicated to why this is a terrible idea: http://engrishfunny.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Translating Time to a float Steve104 8 3,575 Dec 17, 2008 10:59 AM
Last Post: Skorche