Mac OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard

It's coming out early! I am very excited.

Do any U.S. residents know if Best Buy will have boxed copies on Friday? I really want mine but not sure if it's best to order from apple.com, amazon, or hope that Best Buy has one... unfortunately, the nearest Apple Store is 2 hours away...

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
My order from the Apple store claims it will be delivered on Friday, but my (now canceled) order from Amazon said next Tuesday. So. Yeah.
Apprentice
Apple.com is great. Preordered it and it arrived here today, so right on time.
The deliverer said it was crazy how many of these she delivered today.
I think it's pretty cool they only made it $30 to upgrade from Leopard.

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Picked it up on Friday from Best Buy. I'm a little hesitant to install, but the speed improvements to Mail and XCode improvements seem worthwhile... finishing an update to my iPhone app, and want to complete that before jumping in with both feet to the upgrade.

@karlbecker_com
The improvements in Snow Leopard actually interest me a lot more than the new features of Leopard did, but I'm not going to install 10.6.0 on anything - it usually takes a couple of point releases for the bumps to get ironed out.
Anyway, it'll probably take six months before Pro Tools works on Snow Leopard and I'm too lazy to dual boot on my main machine. The question for me is: should I upgrade my MacBook from Tiger?
Apple will probably stop issuing security updates for Tiger now, so I feel like I should, but that pushes the price up quite a bit - especially if you don't want iLife or iWork. If I can get a cheap Leopard license somewhere I might go for it though.
Seems like colors screw up when using Interface Builder 3.1.x and Snow Leopard 10.6. Installing XCode 3.2 now, didn't realize it wasn't installed by default...

@karlbecker_com
Quote:$30 to upgrade from Leopard.

Woah, didn't realise, and it's my birthday soon.... Smile

~ Bring a Pen ~
Apple's added a lot of polish to small details. It's like a treasure hunt to find the little differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard. Spaces behaves much better. I get an overall gestalt of more solidity than I did in Leopard. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I'm really glad Apple has taken a step back and made their existing functionality better instead of just shoveling in more features. Hopefully they'll manage to set the trend for other companies...
Apprentice
Snow Leopard is a remarkable piece of work and by far my favourite OS.
I personally haven't had any software not work yet so it was definitely a painless upgrade for me that was well worth it.
Has anyone tried Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash CS3 on Snow Leopard yet?
I know Adobe released a statement saying that they had tested Photoshop CS3 even though it isn't officially supported. But I haven't heard about Flash or Illustrator.
monteboyd Wrote:Has anyone tried Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash CS3 on Snow Leopard yet?
I know Adobe released a statement saying that they had tested Photoshop CS3 even though it isn't officially supported. But I haven't heard about Flash or Illustrator.

Photoshop CS1 seems to work fine. I've heard that CS3 has minor issues, but no one will say exactly what those issues are.

Snow Leopard Compatibility Wiki: http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
I've got SL. Not too many problems. I had to recompile wget, some strange typing issues in colloquy (which *might* not be Snow Leopard, but I've never seen it before). I like the expose changes, but not much else stands out to me.

It does seem like my hard drive sleeping patterns have changed, but I installed Snow Leopard on a different drive, so that probably explains what's going on. Maybe my new hard drive spins up more slowly.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Just have to say, Exchange integration is an absolute godsend for me at work. Having been forced into using Entourage previously, I was cursing at my e-mail client multiple times every day. Being able to use Mail and iCal instead is a HUGE win.

Ahhhhhhhh...
Siracussa's "little" (23 pages Rasp ) review:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/200...x-10-6.ars

Interesting technical details:
- page 3: the return of the resorce fork (!!)
- page 7: file system API unification (URLs)
- page 9: LLVM & Clang
- page 10: blocks
- page 12: Grand Central Dispatch
- page 14: OpenCL
- page 22: death of Input Managers (no more AdBlock for Safari Sad )

There is also Apple's What's New page at the Dev Center, but it's a bit dry Wink (no movies/animations/graphs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can I update from Leopard to Snow Leopard without losing my certificates? riruilo 3 3,312 Aug 3, 2010 05:01 PM
Last Post: riruilo
  Leopard Usage BeyondCloister 34 12,682 Dec 10, 2007 07:42 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball