What is the best iPhone for testing?

I already have a 1st gen iPod touch and now I want to buy an iPhone to test my game. What's the best version for testing iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS?
Quote this message in a reply
I'd recommend buying the oldest & slowest possible device that you intend to support, you can probably get a used one for pretty cheap.
Actually, if I were only getting one iPhone-class device right now, I think at this point I'd probably get a 3GS. Here's my reasoning:

- You already have a first gen iPod Touch, and that's going to cover the lowest end of all testing.
- Apple is pushing forward, and as a result, first gen devices will be left behind soon, and I would speculate second gen devices are good for only maybe another year (pure speculation of course).
- 3GS can do OpenGL ES 2.0, if you want to get into that at some point, but nothing below that can, AFAIK.
- Looking at our stats for our games, nearly half of our iPhone-class devices are 3GS, which I find surprising. iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G take up roughly 25% each. Other devices are less than 5%. Hardly anyone is using a 1st gen iPhone or iPod Touch (at least they don't appear to be playing our games).
Also, the 3G won't support multitasking so you wouldn't be able to test that aspect. Nor does it record video or have a compass, so you wouldn't be able to integrate that in your current or future game/apps.
thanks for the answers. 3GS it is then Wink
Or, you can get a 3rd gen iPod touch, which performs identically to the 3GS, but doesn't come with a 2 year plan attached (if you're in the US).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Testing Legit Game on Jailbroken iPhone superdoctor 13 10,106 Dec 17, 2010 12:53 AM
Last Post: superdoctor
  iPhone testing tools bmantzey 9 6,160 Jun 30, 2009 03:51 PM
Last Post: kendric
  testing on iphone vs testing on ipod touch frozen 1 3,658 Oct 8, 2008 04:03 AM
Last Post: monteboyd
  Testing on a real iPhone JonnyThunder 5 3,615 Aug 10, 2008 11:39 AM
Last Post: JonnyThunder