iPhone RPG - iMobsters like - How To?

sexyceops
Unregistered

Dear experienced developers,

I am in the middle of a challenging project to create a game like imobsters or mafia wars on iPhone and iPad, I would like to get all your valuable feedback on HOW TO create such a game, environment setup and tools needed other than Xcode, and any helpful references if possible.

Note: Forgive me if I have any silly questions here as I am totally new to game DEV. Anyways, I am not looking to clone iMobsters, am rather looking to create a small version of it for my project. I understand that it is a web based game, needs a database (what is the best DB to use with Apple), I hope I can do it with as much free tools available as possible.

Appreciating all you support and feedback.

Regards
Quote this message in a reply
Have you ever programmed before in your life?

I'm sorry but the "How do I create a game like <something>" threads (not just on this forum, but everywhere) are a growing trend that make me mad.

I'm more interested in how YOU think you create a game like that.

You say you need Xcode. Why do you need Xcode? Was it mandated somewhere that it all be done in Objective-C? Are other development environments such as GameSalad and Unity3D not plausible? I suggest taking a brief look at http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-8012.html

You say you it's a web based games thus needs a database. Why does it need a database? Does your particular version need a database? How large of one? Storing everything that everyone does ever into it? or storing basic data structures?

I don't think you've hashed out the basic requirements. Once you've done that, you'll realize what you'll need.
sexyceops
Unregistered

If you are mad about something keep it for yourself, this is a post that has request for assistance not for a mad person to respond to!? I am veer surprised that you are even a Super Mod!

If it wasn't your anger, you could have read that I clearly know nothing about game DEV and about apple, I AM SEEKING HELP.

ANY BODY READING THIS POST, I WOULD APPRECIATE ANSWERS FROM RESPECTABLE GROWNUPS....Appreciated!
Skyhawk gave you plenty of advice and pointers, and also linked to thread where you could find more. Have you read this?

You may have stated that you know absolutely nothing about development, but you also claim to be in the middle of a project that you apparently have no idea how to begin. This is your fundamental problem really - you are trying to start in the middle instead of at the beginning. If you want to develop games you have to spend some time learning how first. Learning to program in Objective-C using Xcode is one route, but the others Skyhawk linked to might get you up and running faster.
Whatever you do, learn to crawl first. Progress to walking, then see if you can run. Leave it a while before you buy a motorcycle.
Don't get offensive just because you didn't get the answer that you wanted - skyhawk was giving you a realistic rundown. When first starting out, it's a good idea to look to professional game engines, as skyhawk tried to explain to you, so that you can get your foot in the door and begin to learn how things work in the games industry, and what's required of you to plan and build a project. Jumping head-first into programming with no idea what you're getting into is an easy way to fall in over your head, and often leads to people giving up on things. Game programming is one of the hardest disciplines within software development.

Skyhawk's "why" questions are intended to get you thinking. Why does your game need a database? This is something very important to consider when you're in the process of planning a project (Planning, by the way, is something that you will need to do if you ever plan on succeeding, particularly in a role-playing game. Believe me.). Will a save file simply not do? Do you know what type of database you're looking for? Do you know the restrictions it will impose on the system, what it is capable of, and how much memory (run-time and storage) will be used? These aren't topics to simply take lightly if you want to make a successful game.

Start looking at the sheer amount of information on various games that you have for inspiration. Why are those games good? What do you like and dislike about each? What components build up to make the game fun? What components build up to make the game playable, either in a browser, on an iOS device, or on a computer? What types of tools are you looking for? What do you want to do with this project. How much experience do you have with said tools, and more importantly, how much experience do you have managing projects?

We don't intend to come off as harsh, but these are things that, if you don't consider, will cause you to fail. Take the time to slow down, plan things out, and think about what it is you are about to undertake. Game development is an amazingly fun thing to do, but it will rapidly become frustrating if you don't take a realistic view of what you are capable of and what the project will require.

And in the future, show some respect. Mod or not, the people here are trying to help you, whether you like their answers or not - people in game development communities generally don't like to watch others, especially new developers, fall on their faces. You have potential, and could be the next Notch creating the next Minecraft - that's something that we, as developers want to see happen. Every time somebody makes game development gold, independently or commercially, we all have something that we can learn from them, and everybody always has more to learn about game development. So please, take the answers in stride, be respectful of others you meet in the industry, and be active in the community - perhaps come bother people on the IRC channel on Freenode. Continue getting upset at peoples' answers, and I can tell you from experience that you'll quickly find yourself on the negative end of any development community.

Goodbye.
sexyceops
Unregistered

From the posts above I can see the bond between all of you defending sky's response, I like the way you did team up for the responses, regardless that I don't like it and he should be responding to people that HE is WILLING to assist. That also doesn't mean that I have been offensive, for all of you to know, just because you have X or Y knowledge doesn't mean to respond to people with disrespect or sarcasm, on the contrary you have to behave in a friendly way to give them your guidance and attract them to what you like instead of pushing them away, may be you would be a part of notch!
So to close that part of the discussion, if the response was more friendly from the beginning we I wouldn't have been wasting time in explaining to you how to ASSiST people.

Now to the main point, I am in the middle of a project doesn't mean that I am in the middle of the programming part, to make it clear for anybody willing to assist: I am a project Manager, I am not a working developer any more for the last 10 years at all, but as there was an extra requirement in my project that I have to accept, I need to collect information on how and what is needed to do it, unfortunately I couldn't meet any one who was able to advise properly or even seem to be aware of what is needed, so I posted this post and started reading and investigating at the same time, gave you a hint of what I am looking for, further more the game is not a commercial game rather than internal game for 300 employees with special target.
Within my research I found that the (mafia like) game is the most suitable for my target, and hence was my post, so I can be able to identify the needed hardware/software besides that I am already in the process of employing developers as well but need to have some feedback about what I should be asking them.
I cannot give any further details, but I believe that I explained a lot.
(Oct 17, 2010 06:45 AM)sexyceops Wrote:  That also doesn't mean that I have been offensive, for all of you to know, just because you have X or Y knowledge doesn't mean to respond to people with disrespect or sarcasm, on the contrary you have to behave in a friendly way to give them your guidance and attract them to what you like instead of pushing them away, may be you would be a part of notch!

None of the above posts were sarcastic. skyhawk's post may have come off as unnecessarily abrasive, but he was also providing some perfectly good information.

(Oct 17, 2010 06:45 AM)sexyceops Wrote:  to make it clear for anybody willing to assist: I am a project Manager, I am not a working developer any more for the last 10 years at all, but as there was an extra requirement in my project that I have to accept, I need to collect information on how and what is needed to do it, unfortunately I couldn't meet any one who was able to advise properly or even seem to be aware of what is needed, so I posted this post and started reading and investigating at the same time, gave you a hint of what I am looking for, further more the game is not a commercial game rather than internal game for 300 employees with special target.

As you say, you gave a hint of what you're looking for. Since this is all we have to go on, in return we can only give you a hint of what you might need to proceed. We know you're trying to create a game for the iPhone and iPad and, and the name of a game which is similar to what you're trying to build, but not much beyond that. Was the list of iPhone game engines or the "How to get started in game development" thread helpful? If not, what can answer to help you further?
(Oct 17, 2010 06:45 AM)sexyceops Wrote:  From the posts above I can see the bond between all of you defending sky's response, I like the way you did team up for the responses, regardless that I don't like it and he should be responding to people that HE is WILLING to assist.
You got assisted in the manner that is deserving of your post.
Quote: That also doesn't mean that I have been offensive, for all of you to know, just because you have X or Y knowledge doesn't mean to respond to people with disrespect or sarcasm, on the contrary you have to behave in a friendly way to give them your guidance and attract them to what you like instead of pushing them away
You have been quite defensive. You come in here asking for newb (yes, the tone of your post was of one that of "I don't know anything, how do I do something") advice and dislike receiving a response that says "why?". Your post convey'd very little information for people to help you with. Hell, you didn't even link to iMobster (I suppose I could google it, but that's more work for me to give advice to you) so that we could understand your "reference" (sure you aren't pulling a zynga and just stealing?).

Quote:So to close that part of the discussion, if the response was more friendly from the beginning we I wouldn't have been wasting time in explaining to you how to ASSiST people.
http://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html
This isn't customer service. You're not always right. We have no obligation to help you. We do it because we may care. (I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't have).

Quote:Now to the main point, I am in the middle of a project doesn't mean that I am in the middle of the programming part, to make it clear for anybody willing to assist: I am a project Manager.
As a project manager you should understand requirements. And for people to tell you what tools you need, you need to know what you want. Now if you haven't hashed out a full design document by now, that's perfectly forgivable. But you need to know more than "mafia rpg game for phone". What kind of RPG? Tile based? Text based? real time? turn based? is it dialog intensive? is it all done on one screen?
Quote:unfortunately I couldn't meet any one who was able to advise properly or even seem to be aware of what is needed, so I posted this post and started reading and investigating at the same time, gave you a hint of what I am looking for, further more the game is not a commercial game rather than internal game for 300 employees with special target.
Game is not commercial but intended for 300 employees. So you're gonna make it for the iPhone? Every employee has an iPhone? Sounds like a fine company.

Quote:Within my research I found that the (mafia like) game is the most suitable for my target, and hence was my post, so I can be able to identify the needed hardware/software
First, 300 iPhones for all the employees. Assuming they all have those, then you'll need to hash out more requirements as to the nature of the game to determine software requirements. Other than that, 1 mac and 1 iPhone per developer is sufficient.
Also determine your min-spec. Iphone 1, 3G, 3GS, 4. If you plan to target the 1 or 3G, you have to realize the limitations of those (mostly in performance).

Quote:besides that I am already in the process of employing developers as well but need to have some feedback about what I should be asking them.
I hope you tell them more than you're telling us.

Quote:I cannot give any further details, but I believe that I explained a lot.
I believe you've said almost nothing at all. You've touched on a few ideas about a few things. None of these will help you build a successful game. I suggest for your first hire, you hire a designer.

This is my piece and I am done with this. Best of luck on your endeavors.
[Image: 307_Police_I_got_trolled.jpg]

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
sexyceops
Unregistered

Sweet heart, no one forced you to reply to my post. You have been answering just to show off I guess. Well, you are not objective instead you are being silly more and more. You need to grow up people!!! You are taking it personally!? Even your sarcasm about the # of devices with employees, show that you are definitely a bunch of kids who have never been into real business, just to let you know, when are suitable enough you might one day work for an oil company that might see you worth givin an ipod!

Shame on you to say a word like (stealing), I wouldn't have been posting this...!

I feel sorry for you....
Luminary
ban the troll...
(Oct 19, 2010 07:45 AM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  ban the troll...

Done.
Heh, some time before the fun started, he claimed to be a project manager.

Can you imagine if he actually was, and was in charge of your project?

Blimey! Smile

Paul Johnson
Great Little War Game