Mac App Store

(Nov 3, 2010 08:09 PM)akb825 Wrote:  
(Nov 3, 2010 09:18 AM)RDSWES Wrote:  I deleted Steam a few days ago... it will NOT be back on my system until its a proper mac app... not the worst windows port i have seen in 20 + years of using the mac
To be fair, it's bad on Windows, too. It's all a custom UI, so it's not even a "proper" Windows app, either. They also don't multithread their UI properly, which causes the interface to hang in a lot of cases. It's not bad enough for me to give up that and the games I have in it, though. I haven't installed the Mac version, though, so I can't comment on if it's any different.

Despite all the issues with Steam (thankfully mine doesn't hang all the time - knock on wood!) it is still a good marketplace. It's only got people that are looking for games, and most aren't afraid to put down $5 for an indie game that catches their eye.

I was unable to discover if Valve allows Mac-only titles on Steam. If this isn't the case, then that is certainly a barrier to entry.

Then again, anybody into game development on Macs should be very used to being abused and ignored by Apple at this point. Rasp

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
(Nov 3, 2010 08:09 PM)akb825 Wrote:  
(Nov 3, 2010 09:18 AM)RDSWES Wrote:  I deleted Steam a few days ago... it will NOT be back on my system until its a proper mac app... not the worst windows port i have seen in 20 + years of using the mac
To be fair, it's bad on Windows, too. It's all a custom UI, so it's not even a "proper" Windows app, either. They also don't multithread their UI properly, which causes the interface to hang in a lot of cases. It's not bad enough for me to give up that and the games I have in it, though. I haven't installed the Mac version, though, so I can't comment on if it's any different.

Well, since us Mac user are being called whiners on the official board for pointing out its many flaws.. I can only assume that the Windows version works better.

Sales to Mac users were 11% the first month, 4% the second and 2% the third (i haven't seen the 4th month posted) ... this leads me to believe that i'm not the only one giving Steam a one way trip to the trash.
(Nov 4, 2010 04:10 PM)RDSWES Wrote:  Well, since us Mac user are being called whiners on the official board for pointing out its many flaws.. I can only assume that the Windows version works better.
They fixed some annoying glitches with the Mac version recently but the experience on both platforms is pretty much the same. It's a glorified web app - but it is what it is... At least they fixed the icon so it actually fits in the dock without touching its neighbours Cool
(Nov 4, 2010 04:10 PM)RDSWES Wrote:  Sales to Mac users were 11% the first month, 4% the second and 2% the third (i haven't seen the 4th month posted) ... this leads me to believe that i'm not the only one giving Steam a one way trip to the trash.

Yikes Blink ... those numbers are horrible!
they really aren't that terrible when you consider that everyone got what they wanted the first month, and new games haven't been sold to the mac on steam.
Luminary
The source engine games have been slowly dribbled out, they weren't released all at once. Still, I doubt even L4D2 has a huge audience.

Portal 2 will be the real test, I suspect.
Ah, both great points, guys!

FWIW, I still have Steam installed, and I am interested in it, but I don't generally game on my Mac, so I don't use it -- prolly has something to do with the fact that I work on the Mac all day long and actually *like* not staring at it once in a while Rasp
Heh, those statistics may also be (slightly) skewed by people like myself, who have Steam installed on a Windows partition on their Mac; Valve isn't to blame, but I can count all the Mac games on Steam I'm interested in on the fingers of one hand, and have fingers left uncounted...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
(Oct 27, 2010 04:43 PM)gatti Wrote:  2.1 Apps that crash will be rejected
(This means no Microsoft apps :-P)

And a fair amount of Mac apps, too XD
However are they going to police this?

At least they finally made steam use webkit, instead of IE, under the hood! On my old computer, flash didn't work in Internet Explorer, although it worked fine in Firefox and Opera, and therefore I couldn't click anything in Steam's store Sad

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
(Nov 18, 2010 10:44 AM)wyrmmage Wrote:  
(Oct 27, 2010 04:43 PM)gatti Wrote:  2.1 Apps that crash will be rejected
(This means no Microsoft apps :-P)

And a fair amount of Mac apps, too XD
However are they going to police this?

At least they finally made steam use webkit, instead of IE, under the hood! On my old computer, flash didn't work in Internet Explorer, although it worked fine in Firefox and Opera, and therefore I couldn't click anything in Steam's store Sad
They give it a rigorous play-through. They may not be able to test all functionality and all aspects of an app, but they can attempt to be a normal user and stab it as hard as they can, including but not limiting to slamming their head on the keyboard (this does in fact break some apps)
Sage
Anybody have something accepted yet? Crayon Ball and Upshot are "in review".

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
(Nov 18, 2010 04:16 PM)Skorche Wrote:  Anybody have something accepted yet? Crayon Ball and Upshot are "in review".

Same. Mine hit In Review, and it's just kinda hanging out there. I think there are just a bunch of QA hooked trying to beat the last 3 levels.
approved
So it's officially out, thoughts?
Alex